Convincing my Father - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Convincing my Father

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 05-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
Jeepsman
2005 KJ Liberty 

Convincing my Father

Howdy,

I need your knowledge selves to help me with a 'problem'. My brother is about to go away with me to college and we decided that we would get jobs and save up for a Jeep for him. Unfortunately, one thing led to another and he broke his right hand, thus, not allowing him to work essentially for the whole summer. I need to buy a new windshield, breaks & rotors, radio, and tires, so I will have limited cash left.

I have always been fond of the Jeep YJs, my brother has too especially if they have been lifted. The only problem is that they do not have airbags. My father wants us to be safe while we drive, and if the unmentionable happens, he wants airbags to protect us. Especially since the drive to the university is 2.5-3 hours. He also wants us to have a newer vehicle, near my KJ's age. I have a feeling he may buy my brother a TJ, as he did with my KJ, as a surprise. But if not, I need your guys help.

How can I convince my father that we do not need the airbags and the age should not matter too much for a DD YJ?

Unread 05-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
prflyer
1988 YJ Wrangler 

tough sell, I drive my YJ as a DD and it has over 183k ++ but to sell him on why the airbags are not needed would be a hard one..
prflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

As a father and a Jeep owner who takes his kids out in the mountains, Air Bags ARE needed. Due to the lack of them, we put all kinds of money in our jeeps to protect our selfs with Roll Cages, Custom Seats, and 4 or 5 point seat belts.

When trying to convince him to buy a jeep, I WOULDN'T take the approach that Air Bags are NOT NEEDED. You will only show your true age and be denied. I would agree with the Idea that SAFETY is important and that due to the lack of such device, you end up spending more cash in such things to support 4 or 5 point seat belts. Then price out how much those things cost. Find someone who can help you with the welding and cost of metal for the roll cage. Price out a set of seat belts. And combine that with the cost of good seats to support those seat belts.

As far as the newer vehicle, YJ's are very simple to work on, yet have an abundant supply of parts. You can cut your cost if you have some mechanical know how and do some of the work your self. You can always post questions here.

All in all, it doesn't sound like CASH is a problem. He wants you two to work for what you want, but be safe. If you propose the purchase and ask for the assistance to increase safety, all parties may win.

Good Luck,
John
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Jeepsman
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thank you John for your informative reply. It was exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm going to do some research on the safety features you proposed, such as the 4/5 point seat belts. Once again, thanks.
Unread 05-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
JohnFM3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsman View Post
Thank you John for your informative reply. It was exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm going to do some research on the safety features you proposed, such as the 4/5 point seat belts. Once again, thanks.
In order to run those seat belts, you really should have them mounted to a roll cage. Or at least increase the support of the tub below. Also, they are meant to go thru the slots found in most after market seats. So seats will be a must to run the belts correctly. In Washington, Shucks Auto Parts had a pair you could by for $300 which was dirt cheep considering most time seats for $300+ per seat.

My wife's Datsun 510 runs full 5 point seat belts and after market seat. See image. The requirements for AutoCross is only a harness bar behind them. We have the floor board below the car reinforced which you cant see in the pix.

This is what you need to end up with. Good Luck.
John
XJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634588 YJ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3322306
JohnFM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not to burst your bubble but air bags are very safe and helpful. I think the only other safety option would be seats with 5 point harness and a full cage tied into the frame.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
MrPresident
YJ Wrangler 

Just tell him youll wear a motorcycle helmet every time you drive it lol but seriously look into a 4 or 5 point harness. I had a set up in my last jeep and as uncomfortable as it was for daily use it kept me in the seat pretty well.
MrPresident is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.