Converting to locking hubs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Converting to locking hubs

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-22-2005, 05:56 AM   #1
KMyers

Converting to locking hubs

I have a 90 and was wondering if anyone has converted there stock axles to locking hubs instead of the cheeeezy vacuum thing? That thing just doesnt seem very good to me? I would rather get out and lock my own hubs then at least you know you are really locked in? Just wondering if it can be doen or not

KMyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2005, 06:08 AM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMyers
I have a 90 and was wondering if anyone has converted there stock axles to locking hubs instead of the cheeeezy vacuum thing? That thing just doesnt seem very good to me? I would rather get out and lock my own hubs then at least you know you are really locked in? Just wondering if it can be doen or not
Only two real choices, swap axles, or buy a Warn kit. The axle is harder work and lower $$, the Warn is easy work and high $$$$.
Unread 01-22-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
483Fitter
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i have heard that milemarker also makes a kit that is a little cheaper than the warn, but still high dollar, you could also look into the posi-lok, its a cheaper solution
483Fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:12 PM   #4
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Is your vacuum engagment working or not?

If you make this mod it will cost you and you'll be kicking yourself in a few months.

I had locking hubs...on a Nissan pickup. And let me tell you, once you have an auto-lock system, you'll never want to be without it again. The thing is, you might never know that you're going to need 4wd as you start out...but then it's raining...or there's a muddy mess on the highway...or you need to get around a blocked road by driving on a slippery shoulder...I could go on and on.

Locking hubs are better than a permanently-twirling driveline, like in the TJ. But they're nowhere NEAR as good as an auto-system, or the cable-manual disconnect that can be used to replace it, that can be worked from the driver's seat.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2005, 06:44 AM   #5
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a 90 and was wondering if anyone has converted there stock axles to locking hubs instead of the cheeeezy vacuum thing? That thing just doesnt seem very good to me?
Sounds like you are trying to fix a problem you don't have, since you did not say you were having any trouble. My 'cheezy' system has worked perfectly since I got my Jeep in '96. It's like any other system in the Jeep, keep it in good order and it will provide good service.
Unread 01-24-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
RideRed04

Having the hubs locked in is the same as driving a TJ...if you even remotely think you'll need 4wd, lock them in. When you are highway cruising, take them out. The warn kit is $1000 You can buy a set of d44's and build them up pretty easily for that. You could get a shop to install a front 44 for that.
Unread 01-24-2005, 02:56 PM   #7
KMyers

Mine works as far as i know i just got the jeep and it has stock everything so i have'nt went off road yet! But i did put it in 4WD and pull out on the road and it bucked abd jumped so im guessing it works???? I was just asking cuz that thing just seems like it would break pretty easy?? Is it suposed to move up and down freely??? I can lift mine up and down???But if everyones works fine maybe mine will??? But thanks anyway for the info!!!!
Unread 01-24-2005, 03:07 PM   #8
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mine works as far as i know i just got the jeep and it has stock everything so i have'nt went off road yet! But i did put it in 4WD and pull out on the road and it bucked abd jumped so im guessing it works???? I was just asking cuz that thing just seems like it would break pretty easy?? Is it suposed to move up and down freely??? I can lift mine up and down???But if everyones works fine maybe mine will??? But thanks anyway for the info!!!!
what moves up and down? the vac motor? the shifter? the housing? nothing should be moving up and down.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
KMyers

The part that is hooked to the axle(lil'' round deal with hoses coming out) It has a gaurd on the back but if you reach down threw the hood and grab the (vac motor i guess) you can lift it up and down. It is staying hooked to the axle it just moves forward and back like toward the front and back i guess you would say?????Why yours dont move???? It seems like it is suposed to???????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????
Unread 01-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #10
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The part that is hooked to the axle(lil'' round deal with hoses coming out) It has a gaurd on the back but if you reach down threw the hood and grab the (vac motor i guess) you can lift it up and down. It is staying hooked to the axle it just moves forward and back like toward the front and back i guess you would say?????Why yours dont move???? It seems like it is suposed to???????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????
been a while since i had the vac motor, but i'm pretty sure everything was solid. what your describing sounds like the vac motor. there should be 4 bolts holding it to the axle in a rectangular pattern. make sure everything is tight because if it's not, dirt and crap can get into your axle!

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2005, 07:58 PM   #11
KMyers

Yeah i replaced one of the vac hoses that is how i know it moves!!! It is kind of on the top of the axle and it pivots forward and backward
Unread 01-24-2005, 08:56 PM   #12
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah i replaced one of the vac hoses that is how i know it moves!!! It is kind of on the top of the axle and it pivots forward and backward
Nothing there is supposed to move. I would pull the 4 bolts, clean the mating surface, add some silly cone seal, and put it all back together clean and solid.
Unread 01-25-2005, 03:14 PM   #13
KMyers

Where the four bolts meet the axle housing is not where it moves the little round thing next to that moves! The part that has the lines going to it!!
Unread 01-26-2005, 03:52 PM   #14
91yj33405

that would be the vacuum switch i believe
91yj33405 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.