converting-fuel-injection-carb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > converting-fuel-injection-carb

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
prcrup
1991 YJ Wrangler 

converting-fuel-injection-carb

I have a 1991 Jeep Wranger S that was fuel injected am converting it to carb. few questions, 1) can I keep the fuel pump that is in the fuel tank to supply fuel to the carb as long as i install a fuel regulator in line and bypass the fuel relay so that the pump stays on all the time. 2) on the intake manifold I got it has 2 ports on the top that looks like water ran through .. any ideals on what that might be ?

prcrup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
prcrup
1991 YJ Wrangler 

converting-fuel-injection-carb

I have a 1991 Jeep Wrangler S that was fuel injected, I am converting it to carb and had a few questions 1) can I use the fuel pump that is in the tank as long as I install a inline fuel regulator and bypass the fuel relay so that the fuel pump will stay running 2) on the intake manifold I got it has 2 ports on the top that looks like water ran through them, any ideal what it might be ?

Thanks
Paul
Unread 11-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not entirely sure but I don't think you can't bypass the fuel pump relay and have it run all of the time
Unread 11-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think you can bypass the fuel pump relay. How would you shut it off when you're not driving? May be a stupid question, but one to think about none the less.

Host a picture of the ports you're talking about on photobucket or a site alike and post the img tag here so we can see what ports you're talking about.
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i'm not sure on your fuel pump question but if you use a fuel filter with a return line like the one on a carbed 258 wouldn't the pump just keep running? it would never build full pressure.
the ports on the intake manifold are for water, the top hose from the heater core goes to the rear port, the front goes to the motor.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #6
Chase0808
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just wondering, why do you want to go from fuel injected to carbureted? I have a carb and I plan on switching to fuel injected. Is there any problems with it?

Sent from my YJ
Chase0808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You will need a solenoid switch powered by the ignition circuit to operate the pump.

Not sure you can get a regulator that will drop pressure to under 4 PSI that is needed for a carb.

How are you going to run your ignition? Tachometer, speedometer, alternator regulator, etc? These things need the computer.
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
You will need a solenoid switch powered by the ignition circuit to operate the pump.

Not sure you can get a regulator that will drop pressure to under 4 PSI that is needed for a carb.

How are you going to run your ignition? Tachometer, speedometer, alternator regulator, etc? These things need the computer.
^^^ This. Run pump off ignition or switched. A adjustable Holley regulator like this would work fine.

The ECU, I don't know if there are safety functions for fuel management that would have to be disabled.

Like mentioned above, the big question is why do you want to switch?
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
prcrup
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase0808 View Post
Just wondering, why do you want to go from fuel injected to carbureted? I have a carb and I plan on switching to fuel injected. Is there any problems with it?

Sent from my YJ
I can not get the coil to fire .. have changed everything .. crank sensor, computer, distributor switch plate, coil, and still have no spark .. nothing but problems with the fuel injection to many problems can happen, one sensor goes bad and jeep shuts down, go with electronic distributor and carb I take the computer and all sensors out of the equation.
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
prcrup
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
I don't think you can bypass the fuel pump relay. How would you shut it off when you're not driving? May be a stupid question, but one to think about none the less.

Host a picture of the ports you're talking about on photobucket or a site alike and post the img tag here so we can see what ports you're talking about.
Right now when you turn the key on the fuel pump turns on then turns off until you start the jeep if you bypass the relay it will turn on and stay on till the key is turned off, fuel pump would stay on as long as the key is on
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
prcrup
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post

The computer will still be in the jeep, so some of the things will still work .. just not going to have the things hooked up to run the distributor and fuel injection
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
prcrup
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
i'm not sure on your fuel pump question but if you use a fuel filter with a return line like the one on a carbed 258 wouldn't the pump just keep running? it would never build full pressure.
the ports on the intake manifold are for water, the top hose from the heater core goes to the rear port, the front goes to the motor.

In the fuel tank there is a high volume fuel pump, can always go and buy a low flow external fuel pump from a auto parts store that will do the job for the fuel if I have to .. and thanks for the info on the ports on the top of the intake manifold
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Why would you convert to carb? obviously not for off road or fuel economy.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
Jeepsr4me

U verified that the dist is rotating when u crank the engine? Cause the efi on jeeps is bone simple.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i would definitely fix the fuel injection too. and i have a carb and like it alot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.