conversion to TJ coil front suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > conversion to TJ coil front suspension

Savvy TJ/LJ Half DoorsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-02-2015, 10:16 PM   #1
wizekrakr

conversion to TJ coil front suspension

The brain cells are smokin thinking this idea could be possible. I tried to search this out but could not find any build treads taking the frame brackets/mounts off a TJ and moving them to a YJ to achieve a coil sprung front set up. For those of you who want to just reply with "if you want coils up front just buy a TJ" or "the cost to do that is crazy compared to the cost of a good leaf sprung suspension." I'm not interested in your negative responses. If you have done this I am interested in what obstacles you bumped into in the process. No need to question my welding skills or Fab skills it's what I do for a living. Should I stay away from the Rubicon front ends or is that the desired one to go with? I know some one out there has done this. Going in blind doesn't scare me but if I can find some good info I will appreciate it. Also I will document the process and post it step by step.

wizekrakr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
Norcal_chris
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The problem is the tj front frame is narrower right where the coil buckets are. Might make for a tight squeeze with a stock width axle.

I would say buy one of the many companies upper and lower coil buckets and use those instead.

OCT '13 & OCT '14 YJOTM 2014 YJOTY
Norcal_chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2015, 11:19 PM   #3
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My build went that way. To make a long story sorry, I got an xj hp 30 to put under my yj with soa. My buddy said "why cut off all the mounts? Let's link the front." Started building long arms and he said "why are we building up a dana 30, let's build a hp ford 44. So, found the axle and started building brackets. I ended up with a 3 link on air shocks.

Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2015, 11:21 PM   #4
Nickabis
1990 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.barnes4wd.com/ is a great place for build your own.
Nickabis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2015, 11:37 PM   #5
wizekrakr

I will definately call that Barnes site and see what they can help me with. Also will measure a friends TJ frame and see what the difference is in width before pulling the trigger on this one. Thanks for your ideas guys.
Unread 05-02-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
wizekrakr

So if the TJ frame is narrower sounds like that would make the fabrication easier to build outside the frame on the YJ. The difference can't be much.
Unread 05-03-2015, 03:03 AM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

What you are going to find is what a lot of people go through when thinking of going coils. In the end it makes more sense just to build a link and coil system then it is to spend the same amount of time and energy reconstructing a TJ suspension only to have it work worse then a good spring over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.