Control Mod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Control Mod

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
buffgun
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Control Mod

Hey I ordrerd a HEI distributor and it says to disconnect the control module on fender ! Will that mess up the stepper motor on carb or should I get a non stepper carb ?

buffgun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Read through a couple of write ups on the Nutter Bypass. Disconnecting the ECU module will prevent it from actuating the stepper motor in the carb. There are a couple of ways to get the stepper pins "right" ranging from getting them set to the centered position by the ECU then disconnecting the plug from the carb forever all the way to pulling the stepper motor out and setting the pins so that the tapered shoulder part protrudes about 1/8 to 1/4" into the venture with 1/8" usually touted as best setting. Put the stepper motor back in without moving the pins and don't reconnect the plug to the carb.

But search and read a few Nutter write ups because there are a couple of ways to accomplish setting the pins.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2015, 05:24 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You will just need to set the stepper as mentioned. I find 1/8" of shoulder before the taper showing from the back wall works best for gas mileage. The emissions sniffer likes it there too.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
buffgun
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Im not that good with the carb ! Think Im going to start looking for a non stepper carb !
buffgun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffgun View Post
Im not that good with the carb ! Think Im going to start looking for a non stepper carb !
It is really easy to adjust and a heads up, replacement carbs still need to be set up so if you don't like playing with them, a new one won't help.
If you remove the stepper motor, the insides move in rocking steps. Be careful not to break the backing board. When the board is just inside the motor enough to hold the needles from falling out, I think that is the correct place to set it, but install it and double check.
Also just have a look inside yours, it might be in the right place already.

You need to learn how to set the best lean idle mix at least because the computer will no longer be doing it.
If you can get your head around trying to set it up, post and you can be walked through it.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 11-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Like Mike said, its easy. I pulled and reset mine a couple or three times to get the needles just right. Takes longer to get the stock air cleaner and housing off than to pull the stepper motor and put it back in.

I did something I haven't seen anyone else mention - I crumpled up just the right wad of aluminum foil to fit behind the plastic plate holding the needles to ensure they didn't get pushed back into the stepper housing while I reinserted it into the carb. Not at all necessary, but a little extra insurance in case I stubbed one of the needles putting it back in and knocked the needle assembly backwards. Foil is wadded loosely to allow for squeezing it down or fluffing it up a little to hold the plate/needles just right.

And if you look through the best of the Nutter threads, some have excellent step by step pictures showing how easy it is to set the needles manually, especially one that Mike Romain helped the poster with some advice and editorial support.

Go for it! To paraphrase a quote from one of my favorite naval architects and boat builders (I am a recovering wooden boat addict and builder), "Experience starts when you begin...."
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2015, 05:41 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Here is the link to a decent write up. Read it through, it tells you how to set things up to have a good clean runner. It covers the carb settings and the vacuum line routings.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.