Considering painting my YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Considering painting my YJ

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 06-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

What Color to paint a YJ?

I'm thinking about painting my 89 YJ. It's currently white, and it's not my favorite. I have to get rid of some body damage and surface rust before it becomes a big problem, so I am looking into painting it a different color, and am trying to see if it would be worth the extra dough to change colors. I am also considering a durabak, or another liner type thing. If you could please post any pics with the name of the color that would be great. I know there is another thread, but there are very few pictures. Thanks

Last edited by wblackm; 07-02-2008 at 06:46 PM..
wblackm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
1968charger666
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How about rhino lining the whole thing?

Bearing in mind it wouldn't be permanent, you could paint over the rhino lining. If you got tired of the color, you could pressure wash the paint off the rhino lining. Then maybe paint it another color. I dunno. Just a random thought.
-1991 YJ, 2.5L I-6, AX-5, NP231, SYE, Terralow 4:1, D30 & D35 w/ 4.88's & lockers, all w/warn lockout hubs, Procomp coil overs, 9" lift total, 35X15.5R15 Siped Super Swampers, Warn Bumpers, brush guard, Belly and Fuel tank skid plate, Herc'd tub, Dents and scratches
1968charger666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
King03Kev
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mine was also stock jeep white when purchased, I repainted with a gm12 with clear mixed in some how, can't remember what they call it but I couldn't be happier. This paint is readily available and easiest to touch if/when needed.
kevyj87 '87 I6 5spd, 215,000+ miles, Herced, Nuttered, Weber, HEI, RE 4", 1" BL, 4:11's, np231, 33x12.5's, SYE & shaft, 1" brown dog mm, home made bumpers front & rear, Ramsey 8,000lb winch
King03Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
BiTMAP
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I am repainting mine, and the mud i got into barely took any any of it off, now thats because it wasnt completely dry .

I am using rust o lium (sp?) spray cans, cause im too cheap and lazy to buy a airless sprayer. its pretty easy and is gonna look awesome once done
BiTMAP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
JeepAbuser
1988 YJ Wrangler 

in 2 months, ill be blinging out my jeep....it kinda cracks me up, cause ive seen pics of what your guys jeeps look like, bashed fenders, etc....I am going to repaint my jeep a 70s metalflake green, black flames on the hood, ghosty pearl scallops on the flame part of the hood, and im going to pinstripe the flames in gold leaf...I was going to just shoot it black again, and put a stock decal set on, but I thought this would be more fun....and if it gets trail rashed, oh well, its not going to cost me alot, im going to do it myself. im a long way off of doing this right now, but i figure by september, I should be ready for paint.

Soon to be added...wire harness after wire fire, weld in some floor pan pieces, 4.56 gears, fender, windsheild frame, herculiner.....and some more freshening to a tired old 6 cyl....hopefully, ill get to the point that every time i hit the key, she starts!!!
JeepAbuser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
the_barbarian
1987 YJ Wrangler 

before

right now, waiting for one more can of black and some body work

course then i have to paint the hardtop too. i am hoping to find a plain steel bumper so i don't have to fight with the chrome on the nose, but *shrugs* ill do what i have to.
Proud owner of 5 jeeps, and certified JEEP Junkie. newest acquisition and current project (read money-pit); 1987 Wrangler Laredo, hard top, leather seats, custom Woodland Camo, 4.2 I6, 5 SP stick, 4X4 (of course).
the_barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
Hoobly_Goob
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968charger666 View Post
How about rhino lining the whole thing?

Bearing in mind it wouldn't be permanent, you could paint over the rhino lining. If you got tired of the color, you could pressure wash the paint off the rhino lining. Then maybe paint it another color. I dunno. Just a random thought.
I think that would be pretty awesome actually.
You'd never have to worry about scratches!

Utah Jeep Crew
Hoobly_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_barbarian View Post
CAMO!
I think YJs look awesome in OD or camo...but being in the military, I'd never live it down if I showed up to work after giving mine that treatment.
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
BiTMAP
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Im paining mine Sand colour.
BiTMAP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
94WorknProgress
1994 YJ Wrangler 

before:

After:

rustoleum sunburst yellow, rolled on.
94WorknProgress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
df19087
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by King03Kev View Post
I repainted with a gm12 with clear mixed in some how, can't remember what they call it but I couldn't be happier.
Just my 2 cents but i believe its called base coat clear
df19087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by df19087 View Post
Just my 2 cents but i believe its called base coat clear
No, base clear is a two step paint process where you spray your base coat (color coat) let that set up and then you top coat with a clear coat, anything that has "clear mixed in" is likely a single stage. Either urethane or enamel.

I just painted my Jeep with a super cheap single stage Acrylic enamel paint. I have less than 100 in materials and it came out pretty nice.

before:

after:

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

No Stretch TJ Build For The Wife
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
machinehead131
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_barbarian View Post
before

right now, waiting for one more can of black and some body work

course then i have to paint the hardtop too. i am hoping to find a plain steel bumper so i don't have to fight with the chrome on the nose, but *shrugs* ill do what i have to.
Dear god man, the paint on that thing before was looking good...I cannot believe you rattle canned that. Damn...
machinehead131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #14
Shenandoah
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinehead131 View Post
Dear god man, the paint on that thing before was looking good...I cannot believe you rattle canned that. Damn...
Bravo Sierra (or BS).

The camo job looks great. Simple and functional.
Unread 06-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #15
mcgann454
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It pays to have a brother with a flow through paint booth in his pole barn.
Before

After

2007 corvette color "Atomic Orange" code 418P
33" BFG's

97 TJ Full Restore
3" Suspension Lift
1" body lift
33" BFG's

97 TJ Engine swap
2000 4.3L Vortec
4L60E
231c with Slip Yoke
2.5" suspension lift
1.5" body Lift
Still got to paint
mcgann454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.