Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Considering an engine swap

373 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  John-Boy 
#1 ·
My '88 heep currently has a newish 2.5L that I'm having all sorts of vacuum and fuel injection problems with. While I'm sure it would be cheaper to fix what I have, I'd like to eventually run something bigger than 32" tires and still get highway speed when I need to.

So, I've been thinking. I have this 4.9L 300 I6 just sitting out in my old '85 F150 in the front yard. Engine needs to be rebuilt, but it's one heck of a hog when it comes to torque. Quite possibly the best engine Ford ever made, IMO.

I've searched the forums, and found a few threads asking the same question, but nobody seems to follow through with it.

What I'm wondering is 1) how tough would it be? and 2) how much am I looking at cost-wise?

Also, I'm very much assuming I'd have to find a bell housing from an old CJ and an AX15 to bolt up to the back of this bad boy...but would my stock D30/35 axles work or would I need to upgrade to something bigger like the D44 or 8.8???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.