Connecting rubber fuel line to factory hard fuel line??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Connecting rubber fuel line to factory hard fuel line???

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
FiremanBrian
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Connecting rubber fuel line to factory hard fuel line???

On my project, here's my dilemma...I had to cut off the last 5 or 6 inches of steel line after fuel filter towards motor...so now I have the 3/8" rubber line coming off of fuel filter and need to "adapt" it to the seamless hard line w/o a flared end to "grab" the rubber line...

It looks like the factory hard line is 1/4"?

Where to find a 1/4" to 3/8" barbed adapter like a Push-Lock type Bite fitting? I've googled for over an hour now and can only come up with applications for water misting systems, nylon push locks, etc...

I need a good old steel adapter...any help from you guys please?

Or since it's late am I overthinking this? What have you guys done for a similar problem? Just get a 1/4" rubber fuel line and clamp the hell out of it?

FiremanBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have flaired the end of the steel tube by doing the first step of a double flair. it makes kind of a bubble on the end for the hose and clamp to grab.
deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

in the past (not on the YJ but same process) I went a step further than deathtrap... I put a flare fitting on the line and double flared it... then got a flare to barb fitting to attach to the rubber line
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You can get a fitting that goes into the carb inlet nut with either an AN fitting on it or a hose barb.
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
jr4x4
1996 ZJ 

I got mine at autozone. Screwed it in top of fuel pump on my 4.2 and pushed a rubber hose on. Home depot dont have that size brass fitting
jr4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i used rubber fuel line and 2 hose clamps to span b/n the factory steel line and the hard line i ran to the tank... been holding for 2 years so far.

stretch the rubber line over the steel line, seal it with a hose clamp, drink a beer.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanBrian View Post
On my project, here's my dilemma...I had to cut off the last 5 or 6 inches of steel line after fuel filter towards motor...so now I have the 3/8" rubber line coming off of fuel filter and need to "adapt" it to the seamless hard line w/o a flared end to "grab" the rubber line...

It looks like the factory hard line is 1/4"?

Where to find a 1/4" to 3/8" barbed adapter like a Push-Lock type Bite fitting? I've googled for over an hour now and can only come up with applications for water misting systems, nylon push locks, etc...

I need a good old steel adapter...any help from you guys please?

Or since it's late am I overthinking this? What have you guys done for a similar problem? Just get a 1/4" rubber fuel line and clamp the hell out of it?
Make sure the hose is rated for fuel injected use.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
FiremanBrian
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys

Several good responses, so thank you for helping...

This turned out to be stainless steel, so there was no way a flaring kit was ever going to put a double flare on it, so, after some thinking today here is what I came up with....

My rubber line was 3/8", that steel line was 1/4"...just too much space for a clamp to try to overcome...so, I scraped the rubber line altogether on the motor side of the filter and bought another section of 1/4" flared reg steel line and used a compression fitting to "mate" the two, on the other end searched for the fittings I needed and bought a GM screw in fuel filter...

So now, I have all steel line and fittings coming out of the fuel filter heading towards fuel rail, ALOT more safer in my book, the other end of the GM filter used a screw in barb so I can still plumb up the 3/8" rubber line coming from my fuel cell...

BTW, sorry I left this out...this is a '95 Yj with fuel injection of course

If anyone wants pics I can add them or a parts list of what this took but IMO, doing away with at least that small stretch of rubber line gives me more security...

Last edited by FiremanBrian; 04-11-2013 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Extra info
FiremanBrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.