Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Confusing caliper bolt size

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  puppybreath 
#1 ·
I got these calipers from rock auto
91 Jeep YJ, loaded and all that good stuff
Part number RC10186 ad RC10185
I went to put them on and the bolts are a totally different size
I remove the sleeve to see if the original bolt would take the place but it still doesnt fit

I checked a few websites - some say these fut, some dont

What am i missing here ?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm voting it's the wrong caliper, even if it's in the right box. Rock auto sent me the wrong parts once too.

I wouldn't wing it, either, trying to find some bolt that seems to fit. That's a pretty slick mechanism that keeps the calipers square with the rotor, but allows horizontal float with very little slop. If you're not using the right bolts, you might be tearing things up pretty quick.

I wonder if somebody can help with that casting number. Do your original calipers look identical?

#5 ·
Do some searching around on here, Mean Max did a write up on differences in brake hardware a way long time ago. It could even be in the FAQ's.

Anyhow, remember right around '91 is when a lot of stuff started changing, seat brackets, cage, engine etc....

FWIW, I've had good luck for the most part with Rock Auto parts, but one time they sent me a set of Moog ball joints saying they fit the YJ that were nowhere even close to what was supposed to be in there.

#8 ·
So, . . . . .. . i feel like a bit if an *A*S*S*H*O*L*E
I hadn't actually sat the calipers next to each other, . . I only discovered the bolt size difference and left it at that ( been busy as ****, drove a truck to houston to drop of donations, started a new job blah blah ), . . . . every caliper i pulled up online looked just like the '91 calipers i ordered

So, ..... I finally had a few minutes tonight and i look at them together and they are totally different haha
So i go back through rockauto and discover my original calipers are from a 87 - 89 front axle, . . . im wondering why this could be ?, . . the jeep is 100% a '91 ( per the wife, . . . i hardly know anything about these jeeps ha )

Does anyone know why i would have the older '87-'89 caliper on a '91 ?

Heres some pics

Attachments

#15 ·
read my post after the one you quoted, before that he'd never mentioned them being apart for so long.
If you read what was posted, it reads as though the old were removed and new didn't fit.

And oddly, I compare every part BEFORE I install them, for the simple reason that many places give you crap if the parts have been installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.