Compression for a 92 YJ 2.5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Compression for a 92 YJ 2.5

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Dirt_Baller
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Compression for a 92 YJ 2.5

I just pick this jeep up and have some smoke coming from the tail pipe. I did a compression check today (I am not sure if i did it right). It has 275k on it.

If somebody can help me out and let me know if these look good, I would greatly appreciate it. Below are the compression numbers and this was done dry.

#1-125
#2-122
#3-119
#4-121

Dirt_Baller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Baller
I just pick this jeep up and have some smoke coming from the tail pipe. I did a compression check today (I am not sure if i did it right). It has 275k on it.

If somebody can help me out and let me know if these look good, I would greatly appreciate it. Below are the compression numbers and this was done dry.

#1-125
#2-122
#3-119
#4-121
I'd say that those numbers are fine. They are close enough together not to cause a problem. *note: I'm not an engine builder, I'm just conveying what i think based on what I've read and remember* What is the color of the smoke?
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The smoke is from old age. Compression on a new engine is 150 for a 2.5L. Your getting some bypass on the rings and some from the valve guides. I would run it until It quits but have plans for a swap or overhaul. Enjoy it it's running.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Dirt_Baller
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. its Whitish/Blueish smoke. I was think of replacing the head and head gasket.
Dirt_Baller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Dirt_Baller
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info! I hope to drive it for a couple of years before having to anything else to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.