completely stock 87 yj..need ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > completely stock 87 yj..need ideas

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
ufvj217

completely stock 87 yj..need ideas

So I'm in the process of fixing up and redoing a few things on my new to me 87 yj. I'm new to jeeps so I want to post a few pics and get some opinions.

First I want to state that I won't be doing any off roading in this. I bought it strictly to cruise around on the road on the weekend and after work just for fun. So im leaving carpet inside etc since I will be keeping it clean and dry.

Wheels, I know for sure which ones I want and I will be ordering them soon. 15x8 pro comp steelies with 2.5" BS. I like the wide wheel stance.

Tires...im torn between 31x10.50 and 33x12.50...I see a few yjs on 31s with a wide stance and I like them. I also like 33s. I know what I dont like and that's too much wheel gap. I want it to sit as low as I can without rubbing. Keep in mind I dont need to flex since it'll only be on road driving. So if I go 31s I probably wont lift it.

That brings me into my next question. Take a look at my stock suspension. Looks kinda worn and ugly lol. So eventually id like to replace it, and instead of replacing with stock springs, should I just opt for a 2.5" suspension lift and run 33s? I don't know if stock springs are cheap or expensive, but I'm sure its better to spend a couple extra bux and get a lift instead.

Also not sure what kind of shocks those are but im sure the lift kit of choice will include shocks.

Since im redoing the interior and I have the roll cage out and all, im considering pulling the body and coating the frame and underbody. Not sure if I want to do that just yet or maybe wait until winter. Dont know how hard that is to do.

That should pretty much cover everything I cant decide on right now haha

ufvj217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
ufvj217

I like these 3 on 31s, almost positive all 3 are stock height.

I also like this (buddy of mine) on 33x12.50, I believe stock besides the huge shackles lol

The white one above, I really like the tires. Super swamper tsl? Are these good for on road use?

Unread 07-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i think i had 31s on my almost completely stock suspension 87 yj.
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

super swampers are not good on road. and they wear out quickly, form what i read.

and not that they are bad on road, but they are super noisy
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
ufvj217

Figured that, thats why I wanted to ask. The noisy part doesn't bother me as much as them wearing quickly. I wont drive it much but I dont want to spend that much on new tires just to wear quicker than others
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I ran 33x12.50 TSLs on my Wrangler when it was a DD through college. They weren't bad, but don't expect to hear the person next to you on the highway lol. In my opinion it sounded like a plane taking off

In my experience, they didn't wear evenly at 30-35 psi, wore down quickly, and developed flat spots if I left the Jeep sit. Mine got flat spots after sitting overnight even when I drove it everyday. They worked themselves out after 5 minutes of driving, but it was more annoying than anything else.

I wouldn't recommend them unless you absolutely need the aggressive tread for offroad
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Stick to 31's. They look great with a slightly lifted jeep and the BFG all terrains have a very aggressive look and outstanding street manners. You'll get some long life out of them. Why 31's? The larger tires with stock gearing can be justified offroad because the ground clearance is factored in as performance. On the road, its just going to gobble gallons and you'll lose noticeable performance.
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
ufvj217

Valid points.

If I run 31s and stay with the stock springs, should I jusf replace with new oem springs? Mine look like poo.
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Anticanman brings up some good points, and as always, sound advice. If you want the more aggressive look, check out the BFG Mud Terrains. I've had great luck with them on the road, having run them on 3-4 trucks in the past. And they don't sound like an F-14 spooling up next to you.

Just my opinion, but the stock springs don't look all that bad. Ugly, yes, but they still seem to have an arc to them. I'm not all that familiar with what stock YJ springs are supposed to look like tho, so grain of salt with that.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1521567/
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
ufvj217

If I can blast and repaint them then I could do that.

How many miles do you get out of the bfg mt's?

I guess I'm looking for a more aggressive pattern like you said, but still good highway performance and life.
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
DpDave
Semper Fidelis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I honestly don't know how long they'll last. I've put 30k on them and had them still looking good when I traded the truck. I would guess they'll go a good 50,000 or so with out a problem, depending of course on how you drive. I never got much over 15 or 20k out of the back tires on my Corvette... Fronts held up well though. LOL

If you look at the top of this thread at the FAQ thread, you might be able to find the stock ride height for a YJ, then just measure and see how far you are different.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1521567/
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You could always go AAL kit and retain the stock springs and gain some lift. The ride will be stiff, but you will gain 1-2" in the leafs instead of shackles.
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufvj217 View Post
I want it to sit as low as I can without rubbing. Keep in mind I don't need to flex since it'll only be on road driving. So if I go 31s I probably wont lift it.
It's been said already, but I'll say it again in my own special way.

clean your undercarriage, put the jeep up on stands, remove the wheels, get a rattle can of satin black paint or three, paint your stuff so it looks great.

Take and buy an aggressive AT tire as suggested, mount them to your rims, reinstall them, ?? , profit.

We use our YJ on the road mostly. We run a 235/75/15 Wrangler tire. The jeep looks fine, has no issues getting up to freeway speeds safely, and my daughter has never had any issues with the D30/D35 because we are basically stock sizing.

If you give a pig a pancake, he's gonna want maple syrup. One you lift it, you'll need bigger tires, and noone wants to see a transfer case drop, so that's an SYE and Rear CV DS, and if you're going to put 33"s on there, should probably put on an 8.8. and it goes on and on.

What and how are you using it? "it'll only be on road driving" you don't need a spring lift or new springs. If you take the advice of all these people here that have broken more stuff than I've read about (and fixed it) I'd think you'd buy a $80 1" body lift, run 31" tires, and leave the rest alone.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91
05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ha. Pig a pancake.
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91
05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.