Completed 8.8 swap. Driveline vibration need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Completed 8.8 swap. Driveline vibration need help

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Completed 8.8 swap. Driveline vibration need help

Completed my 8.8 swap the other day, stayed sua with 2.5inch lift. Apparently I didn't set the pinion angle right when we welded the spring perches on because I had some serious vibrations and binding when fully extended.
So we stuck in some 4 degree shims and now most of the vibrations are gone but I still feel some in the gas pedal and shifter knob. I am thinking of trying some 5 degree shims next to see how it changed.s.

Anyone have any suggestions. I have a slip yoke eliminator and cv shaft

l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
1993sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pics?
Unread 03-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
Pics?
I'll try to snap some tonight when I get off work
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 03-31-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you are on the right track. Put an angle finder (real one or phone app) on driveshaft and the bottom side of the 8.8. They need to be the same erring slightly with pinion being angled lower by a degree.

Once you get measurements determine how much shim you need.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb
Sounds like you are on the right track. Put an angle finder (real one or phone app) on driveshaft and the bottom side of the 8.8. They need to be the same erring slightly with pinion being angled lower by a degree.

Once you get measurements determine how much shim you need.
Where should I hold on the 8.8 housing? The flat spot directly below the flange on the pinion ?
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 03-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's where I did it and it worked. If you use phone, take it out of case and make sure you zero it out on a level surface. If there is a six inch difference, you'd need half that size shim to bring them equal.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
Unread 03-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's where I did it and it worked. If you use phone, take it out of case and make sure you zero it out on a level surface. If there is a six inch difference, you'd need half that size shim to bring them equal.
With the 4 degree shims in I got a rough angle on the shaft at 14 degrees and then on that flat spot I got 12 degrees. Does this mean one more degree? So 5 degree shims?
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 03-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here's some pics I could snap. Been raining all day
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, since you have an SYE & CV rear shaft, the pinion looks to be too low still.

Who did the measuring calculations for the new shaft? It looks to be ~1.5" too short.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
Yep, since you have an SYE & CV rear shaft, the pinion looks to be too low still.

Who did the measuring calculations for the new shaft? It looks to be ~1.5" too short.
I had to get the shaft cut down, so I took it back to the place that made it with the new measurements and they cut it down.

The the difference in shaft length for my suspension at ride height and extended only changes by 1/2-3/4 of an inch

Do you think the 5 degree shim will be my fix? Only one degree more then I am right now
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If they make a 5 that's what it sounds like you need. Make sure to use steel shims. If there's no 5 you might try a 6.
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Take a pic of where exactly you placed angle finder. Just in eye balling the spot in the pictures, to me it looks much lower than two degree difference. I want to make sure you are capturing the angle measurement from right spot.
Unread 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Take a pic of where exactly you placed angle finder. Just in eye balling the spot in the pictures, to me it looks much lower than two degree difference. I want to make sure you are capturing the angle measurement from right spot.
I found one place that makes 5 degree shims but I could get 6 degree shims and change it tomorrow instead of waiting.

I downloaded an app for my phone and used it. Place it on my driveshaft on the back section of it, but on the sleeved part because the actually shaft is too short for my phone.
On the 8.8 I put it directly below the pinion flange, where there's the strip that's like 1-2 inches wide and runs toward the housing.

I would take a picture but it's too late
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is how I have always done it.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/pinion/pinion-1.htm
Quit screwing around with the shims, grind off the spring perches and weld them back up.
Set your pinion angle with the spring perches unwelded and the weight of the Jeep on the axle.
Adjust your pinion angle.
Tack the spring perches in.
Reweld.
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
This is how I have always done it.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/pinion/pinion-1.htm
Quit screwing around with the shims, grind off the spring perches and weld them back up.
Set your pinion angle with the spring perches unwelded and the weight of the Jeep on the axle.
Adjust your pinion angle.
Tack the spring perches in.
Reweld.
thanks for that website, ill have to get one of those angle finders tomorrow. i would go for the cutting and rewelding but as of right now i am out of time to do that.. My jeep is my daily driver and its been out of commission now 3 weeks going on 4 because this 8.8 swap. My d35 blew up 3 weeks ago.

he says about being acouple degrees low if its a yj, i already am acouple degrees low and have vibrations. should i just go the same?
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.