Complete redirections - no more family friendly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Complete redirections - no more family friendly

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
jeepsnmopars
2012 JK Wrangler 

Complete redirections - no more family friendly

I was building my YJ to be a family friendly rig. Well I had no idea I would do this but I bought a 2012 JK 2dr lifted with 35's added. Family rig taken care of.

For the YJ I had planned 4" RC lift 33's keeping the front 30 and rear 35 and stock gears. Fun family mild wheeler.

Well now I have the stock 6" or so backspace steelies that were on the JK the 4" lift installed and a YJ with 4.0 HO auto 190K miles, rough body and good frame. I know the wheels are worth nothing but it has me inspired for a new build plan.

Now I am thinking that I could take the YJ body off, Novak convert in a Chevy V8 (I actually have an extra from my hot rodding projects) and add a little wider axles with a 5X5 bolt pattern and use the steelies mentioned above to pull the tires back in a bit. Powder coat them tan. Cover the crap body with complete Metal Cloak steel. Keep the original Sahara feel.

I think the late 70's Ford truck axles are close to what I need with 5X5 bolt pattern. Is this the right way to go. These axles seem available in a 9" and Dana 44 and I can pick up used ones with gears and lockers for under $1K

Here we go again with a simple project gone crazy. I can't keep my projects from getting out of hand. "If I do this I need to do that......"

jeepsnmopars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

With a V8 - if it were my rig, I would not go with anything less than 1 ton axles (D60/HPD60/HP9" front, D70/14B rear. Otherwise, you'll be babying the drive train due to it being under built if you plan to hammer on it or use it to its potential.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

If it were me, spring under with those axles are going to give you a net of 1" of lift and steering problems up the wazoo. I've got two buddies running the 44 front and 9" rear and they're both sprung over. If you go with Joe's expertise, you pretty much have to spring it over up front unless you go hydro steer.
Unread 09-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ford truck bolt pattern was 5X5.5 same as the CJs not 5X5.
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
BGarth13
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've been toying with the same idea with the 9" and D44. It's good to know that it will have to be SOA. My question is why would 1/2 ton differentials originally under an 8000 pound truck with a big block be inadequate for use under a YJ with a SBC?
I used to have a 78 Bronco with a 460 cid engine, a C6, 3.50 gears in Ford 9" and D44s and it was a monster.
BGarth13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Jeepsr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGarth13 View Post
I've been toying with the same idea with the 9" and D44. It's good to know that it will have to be SOA. My question is why would 1/2 ton differentials originally under an 8000 pound truck with a big block be inadequate for use under a YJ with a SBC?
I used to have a 78 Bronco with a 460 cid engine, a C6, 3.50 gears in Ford 9" and D44s and it was a monster.
I too say the same. I like 1/2 ton stuff. Run it and break it. Then upgrade the shafts as the housings rarely break. Plenty of good upgrades too.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
jeepsnmopars
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info....my mistake on the 5X5 vs 5X5.5. I just thought it would be nice to reuse the jeep steelies but I guess I will rethink this.

Here in Michigan most of the offroading is trails and mud. Not alot of rock crawling bindng things up so that is why I was leaning to 1/2 ton axles. I figured that they would be adequate with the small block chevy motor.
Unread 09-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1/2 trucks aren't that heavy 4500-6000 the current diesels come in under 8000 lbs. My 1 ton dualy diesel is only 7200 lbs empty.
I agree the 1/2 ton stuff is plenty strong though.
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
jeepsnmopars
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, and from what I can tell the 70's Ford stuff fits easiest once you cut off all the I beam stuff, correct?

Craigslist seems to be pretty ripe for the picking of rusted out ex-mudder trucks around here with 9" and 44's. Many of which already have lockers, gears in the high 4's ect. Is this the best route for a relative noob that has been building cars for years and now getting into Jeeps.

BTW anybody want to buy a hopped up 68 Barracuda....priorities are a changin'. Jeeps are now my main interest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.