Complete Bushings kit and RE 4" Lift Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Complete Bushings kit and RE 4" Lift Question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Bubbagump
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Complete Bushings kit and RE 4" Lift Question

Hey everyone, I recently replaced my shocks on my '95 YJ hoping for a softer ride. The shocks help for the large bumps but there's still a lot of bumps that make it uncomfortable. I was curious about a full poly bushings kit. Do they help? Something like this - http://www.jcwhitney.com/total-kit-s...01d1202y1995j4

I also am planning to install a 4" suspension lift. Since I made the mistake of buying new shocks before getting the lift i have to find a lift that doesn't come with shocks. There isn't a large selection but I did find an RE lift that seemed alright. I couldn't find a review on the lift on this website. How do I know if my shocks will work with the lift? http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...R%2fERE5515-NS

Thanks for your help.

Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
LaughingStock
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I can't guarantee this is true 100% of the time, but from what I've seen and experienced, a shock that will work on a stock suspension will not have the travel necessary to accommodate what a 4" lift will require. I have seen some aftermarket shocks rated 0-2" or possibly 0-3", but I have yet to see anything made that will go from stock to 4".
I wish I had something more positive to tell you, but based on my experience and research you are going to need to pop for new shocks if you invest in 4" of lift. If you are dead set on keeping the shocks you purchased, you might consider going with a smaller lift in the 2" range. I've heard the offerings from OME, RE and others perform well and allow for larger than stock tires (31" I believe).
I hope this helped some. If not, maybe someone with more knowledge than me can chip in and brighten your day.
LaughingStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Bubbagump
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm well thanks for letting me know before I made the mistake. I guess i could just find a friend to sell em to cheap. They are, after all, on a month or so used. Any advice about the bushings kit?
Unread 09-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Relocating your shock mounts will help you get away with having a shorter shock on a higher lift and keep them from dragging on rocks as well. As for the Bushing kit, it helps quite a bit considering that your old rubber inserts are old enough to vote. I would opt to get some greasable shackle bolts to compliment. On the topic of finding lift kits without shocks, I always suggest piecing together lifts anyway. Springs can be purchased straight from the manufacturer and in the case of BDS can be shipped to a local distributor for free, saving some coin.
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Bubbagump
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Could I save money by piecing together a lift instead of buying the kit? How do I know what to exactly get and how much do you think I'd save?
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Let's start here: what are your goals for your jeep? I'll play personal shopper for a minute and then we can move it to PM when people complain about the same threads being posted over and over blah blah blah. I believe I found a 3.5" lift with shocks, SYE and DC driveshaft for another thread for under $900 shipped.
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Bubbagump
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Right now I have a 2" Body lift that I installed. One day (Probably next spring) I am going to get 34"s to replace my 30"s. I thought having roughly 2" of padding after getting 34s would be a good idea. So a 4" lift seemed appropriate. But if you think a 3.5" would do just fine then I'd consider it.
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do me a favor really quick and fill out your profile, I'll need gearing info before I can help.
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
Bubbagump
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sure I'll just start PMing you
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok before you can even look at 34" tires, you'll have to address gearing and that dreaded rear axle of yours but I'm fairly certain you can get the lift on first and address the rest when the tires go on. If you plan on wheeling bigger tires, you'll need to drop some weight from your wallet but the lift shouldn't be bad at all. If you're mechanically inclined or have a buddy who is and can weld and has an affinity for the type of cool refreshing beverages that you provide, then you're in luck.

On the BDS website there is a catalog and a place on the home page where you can order by part number. Springs usually range from $100 to $120 and that doesn't include the JF discount. Negotiations can take place through the vendor section of JF but I would suggest having it shipped to your local distributor and ordering through BDS to avoid shipping and tax charges. Shocks are a dime a dozen and as I recently learned, most white can shocks are the same no matter what name is on them. Pro comp rancho Skyjacker, all the same for about $30 apiece. Crown has a SYE kit on eBay that I picked up for $200 shipped so cross that off your list too. Driveshaft and pitman arm can be found at a junkyard from a Cherokee (pull the '95 and newer axle shafts while you're at it!) and the driveshaft can be cut to specific length for under $100 at any reputable driveline/pto manufacturing company. The junkyard parts should be under $50 including the shafts depending on your negotiating skills and rapport with the folks behind the counter and helper monkeys on the forklifts.

Don't forget to source craigslist for parts, there is always someone upgrading from the exact set up you're striving for and it will only benefit you to clean out their garage at a discount price.
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
Bubbagump
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Alright thanks for the advice its a big help!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.