Complete Brake Replacement. Your Thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Complete Brake Replacement. Your Thoughts?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 04-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
BlackGallagher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Complete Brake Replacement. Your Thoughts?

I'm about to replace my rear drum brakes on my '89 and I want to know if I should just replace the wheel cylinders, brake boots, and small parts. I was just going to do the drum brake itself, but recently my father had to have all the hardware on his 2005 F-150 replaced because it was rusted and the brake drum would have been no good with the rusted hardware. It's only about $100 investment, but I still want to know what you all think about whether or not I should do it all.

BlackGallagher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You could have disk brakes for about $100 more.
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
BlackGallagher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Any recommendations on where to get a conversion kit?
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ah the good ol $50 job that turns into, well for $50 more I can just do all the hardware... then... well for $100 more I can have discs... well for 200 more i could have an 8.8. well for 300 more i could do an 8.8 and new brakes... etc LOL
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Whenever I do brakes I always replace everything. The parts are so cheap. Wheel cylinders are about $9 and the spring kit is about $15.

Brakes are the only thing on a D35 worth spending money on.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do it all clean the backing plates and reinstall you won't regret it. It would be hell to have a spring break on the trail or a cylinder leak right after you do the brake pads. Paint the drums with some heat paint won't show any rust through your wheels.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Whenever I do brakes I always replace everything. The parts are so cheap. Wheel cylinders are about $9 and the spring kit is about $15.

Brakes are the only thing on a D35 worth spending money on.
Same here.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
BlackGallagher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I just ordered all the parts for a complete drum replacement. Disks might be (are) better, but the only conversion kits I saw were for $400+ and I haven't had any problems with the drums thus far so why fix what isn't broke?
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The conversion I was referencing was a 8.8
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
ROWA

1994 YJ Wrangler 

As mentioned above, replace all part's. Do one side at a time so you have something to compare it to.

The best Engineering is no match against natural Stupidity.
ROWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am in the midst of converting my YJ to hydroboost. Got the complete hydroboost, master cylinder, prop valve, brake pedal assembly, p/s pump and lines from a 2008 Silverado 6.0 for $56. I will snap some pics as to how it goes.

I know this is a far reach from upgrading wheel cylinders, but mine started with upgrading the stock prop valve for the 8.8 with discs.......
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
BlackGallagher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
I am in the midst of converting my YJ to hydroboost. Got the complete hydroboost, master cylinder, prop valve, brake pedal assembly, p/s pump and lines from a 2008 Silverado 6.0 for $56. I will snap some pics as to how it goes.

I know this is a far reach from upgrading wheel cylinders, but mine started with upgrading the stock prop valve for the 8.8 with discs.......
Well damn! Yeah some pics would be awesome to see!
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #13
BlackGallagher
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Do it all clean the backing plates and reinstall you won't regret it. It would be hell to have a spring break on the trail or a cylinder leak right after you do the brake pads. Paint the drums with some heat paint won't show any rust through your wheels.
Paint the entire drum? With some POR-15 heat resistant coating?
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #14
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

being your in pa you should change everything in there including the drums. Dont pain the inside of the drum.. Only the outside.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
calvynandhobbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up the front and rear axles out of a 96 Grand Cherokee for $130 for the pair. The rear is a D35 with discs so I'm converting that over to the S35 I have sitting in the back of the garage before I put it under the YJ. The kits are overly priced, but if you have time just watch Craigslist and junkyards for part outs. I got lucky in that mine has brand new rotors and pads on it. The guy had just replaced them and the tranny went 3 weeks later so he parted it out. The front axle will be stripped of wheelbearings, axleshafts, etc for spares.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.