Color schemes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Color schemes

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Nowiser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Color schemes

Well im new to the Jeep world as of last Saturday, bought a 1990 YJ, frame is in good shape, body needs a few panels replaced, everything else is fine but the engine, it is blown. It came with a 4.2l, borg warner t5 tranny and transfer case that the PO was going to drop in but he just didnt have time. I think I got a pretty solid deal walking out of there with it for $1,000. Anyways, I have decided to take her all the way down to the frame and do some restoration. I am trying to figure out what color scheme I want to go with that stands out but is not off the wall. The interior seats are tan, and those are not in the budget until the end (if I can stay within budget ). I want to put a monstaliner in the tub, but not black because of how hot it will get. So I am thinking the lighter charcoal color, or one of the sand/dessert colors. The charcoal may look ok but my original goal was to paint it Electric Green with hinges and stuff matte black, not many YJs are Electric Green, so i thought it would look good. Trouble is, I don't know what interior tub color to go with it.

Anyone have any other color ideas they wanted to run but havent done it themselves? Not trying to steal anything just want to hear some other ideas. My creativity can sometimes be non existent

Thanks guys!

Nowiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
johnboy68
Will work for parts

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I love orange Jeeps. You don't see many orange YJ's out there and I think MONSTALINER has an orange.

I also really like silver Jeeps with black tops.

When I get around to repainting my Jeep it may be one of these two colors. I've also considered vinyl wrapping it in Real Tree Camo print

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Nowiser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Oh man... If it was going camo I'd figure out a way to put on optifade digi camo to match my set up for when im hunting but I think the wife would KILL me if I did that

Last edited by Nowiser; 05-15-2013 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: oops
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

after seeing this pic

I went with a black/gray interior and an orange exterior with black bumpers/rocker guards

if I had the spice interior, I think I would go Monstaliner Jeep Spice in the interior/exterior trim and Predator on the body

Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Nowiser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Orange is growing on me, although I think I like it a bit darker, almost more of a burnt orange.

Dang it there are just too many choices!!!!
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
mcoulter57
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish
after seeing this pic

I went with a black/gray interior and an orange exterior with black bumpers/rocker guards

if I had the spice interior, I think I would go Monstaliner Jeep Spice in the interior/exterior trim and Predator on the body
I'm a big fan of that color. My daughter has been hounding me to do mine that color

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
mcoulter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
calvynandhobbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm still making up my mind on my color scheme, but it will probably be a desert sand exterior with black interior and black exterior trim. Picked this up in January and the previous owner never really started the project. He started sanding the hood a little. Got lots of other work to do before I get to paint.

Unread 05-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Nowiser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Im in the same boat as far as work to be done prior to getting to the fun parts, I'll post a few pictures tonight when I get home. I have uncles who are both professional painters so Ill get a good paint job. Your jeep looks to be in the same stages as mine but Im still sitting on my tires
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
calvynandhobbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I sold the tires and wheels that were on it after I bought it and picked up some black simulated beadlocks with 35" TrX MTs on them. I also have axles swaps to do, tummy tuck, SYE, etc. There's something about this color combination (tan/black) that I really like.

Unread 05-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
Nowiser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That Khaki is pretty awesome, would be cool to see it on a YJ
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Nowiser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do you know what the color code on that tan is? Im assuming it is matte.
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowiser View Post
Do you know what the color code on that tan is? Im assuming it is matte.
That's a 2013 color called Dune. I don't think it's a matte finish on the stock JKs but a matte tan in any similar color would look great. I had considered the Orange and Black route for my next YJ project, but it's just too Halloween for me in the end. I may go with the Gecko Green body and paint the frame Gecko Green as well as a highlight under the tub and behind the wheels etc. that or an electric blue body/frame combo. I think painting the frame would help to set off all that black under the Jeep.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35, Rock sliders, Monsta Daughter&Dad Project Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 Rock-Trac D44/44 lockers, 4" Currie Lift, 1" BL, 33s, hardtop
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
Nowiser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Dune, Ill have to look into it, so not matte but just a flat color instead of gloss
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

The color is original to the 89YJ called Sand. Looks better with a white top than black.
recycled-1.jpg  

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Nowiser
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks that does look awesome!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.