Cold weather = Rough ride?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cold weather = Rough ride??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip Elim07-15 jeep JK Spare Tire Carrier Delete Plate

Unread 01-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Cold weather = Rough ride??

I have been forced to DD the old beast this winter. Something I noticed as the weather started to turn cold was the ride getting a little rougher. Kind of felt like the tracbar fairy snuck the tracbars back into my jeep.

At first I just thought, oh everything is so cold, maybe its stiff. Maybe the grease in the bushings is like molasses.

Then today I Decided to drive up on an 18" or so tall rock, been meaning to check a few clearances. Long story short I lifted a back tire off the ground! The other side was still a long way from being stuffed. the front tire up on the rock was still 3-4" from getting into the fender(my bumpstop) so I really wasnt flexed all that much.

Anybody have a clue whats going on here? Im starting to feel like my rear shocks have failed me or frozen up or something.

(and to prevent these types of answers my shackles are at 35 ft lbs, all bushings are new and greased 3x in the last year)

Unread 01-21-2015, 05:28 AM   #2
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Guess its not so common by the lack of a response. I'll probably pull the rear shocks this weekend and see if something is wrong with em
Unread 01-21-2015, 05:31 AM   #3
grandboost98
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ive noticed a stiffer ride in the cold but never lost a noticeable amount of flex because of it
72 Chevy Nova-in progress
http://tiny.cc/BRASSBALLSOFFROAD
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's writing like a wooden horse. It reminds me of the time that I bent my rear shock and it seized. I have some old pro Comp shocks in the scrap pile from someone else's project I might have to use those
Unread 01-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
grandboost98
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah the temps shouldnt make that big of a difference. Mine as well try the shocks if you have them
72 Chevy Nova-in progress
http://tiny.cc/BRASSBALLSOFFROAD
grandboost98 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
JohnnyZJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

common up here in Canada for the white body 'nitro' shocks to suck balls when its cold. i think extreme cold does something to them then they are never the same.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" toyos.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #7
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have noticed the same but always attributed it to the tires being cold and hard, I'll have to look more closely. What kind of shocks are you running? I can't see gas shocks being affected, but I guess oil could thicken if it were really cold.
Unread 01-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

they are the cheap ford truck shocks from ashlands thread. only about a year old though. monroe $25 specials

I found a few ways to write it off at first too. maybe the roads are buckled a bit from the cold, cracks are bigger, tires are stiffer etc. In the end its getting worse even though we have warmed to the 30's.
Unread 01-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'd blame it on the tires to some extent, but even just pulling the bottom bolts will show if it's anything to do with shocks.

Mine rides like a rock on cold mornings but is better on warm days too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.