Cold weather Preparation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cold weather Preparation

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
VirginJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cold weather Preparation

What do you guys do to prep your jeep for the cold weather? What fluids are you changing? Diffs clutch etc? I'm basically stock with a 2.5L

VirginJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've never had to change much of anything. I use 10W30 oil year-round, its a good compromise. I do try to make sure all the fluids are topped up, and especially the cooling system is up to the job. Summertime we get 98 degrees and muggy, winter can go to -20 and snow up to your butt around here.

I just keep on doing everything on schedule like normal.

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 09-08-2011 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: example
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

One other thing, make DARN sure you have a good strong battery, and all the electrical connections are clean and tight.

Unread 09-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
VirginJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

transfer case or clutch fluid

sorry a couple of follow up questions, what about fluids? do you run different oil? How about the clutch and transfer case I have meaning to flush both but not sure if a different weight should be used besides the recommended 10w-30?
Thanks
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginJeeper View Post
sorry a couple of follow up questions, what about fluids? do you run different oil? How about the clutch and transfer case I have meaning to flush both but not sure if a different weight should be used besides the recommended 10w-30?
Thanks
Just the regular stuff is fine for me.

Unread 09-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

check the clutch fluid if it is completely clear (no black stuff floating might mean you have a problem) leave it alone.If it is a little low just add some more.
The transfer case; flush it out, use the royal purple.You don't have to change it like engine oil. Every 30000 miles,so using the good stuff is worth the the money. .How many actually do that and don't have any problems.Not me of course; I just finished flushing all mine.I did have to replace the whole clutch system on the wife's 90 yj.
if your going to flush things how about your tranny too. do it the same time as the tcase.then they are always due the same time, 30000 miles.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
VirginJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be flushing the fluids next weekend with royal purple as I've used them and they have always performed well for me.
Unread 09-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check antifreeze in radiator cause if theres none a frozen block can occur. Make sure heater core flushed for the heater to work top notch. If you live in area where snow comes always a great time to make sure 4wd works for that time.
Unread 09-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Park it in the garage before the road salt starts. Then bring it out when the salt is gone.

Takes all of a minute or so.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

^ that's what I think I'll be doing . Unless of course I absolutely have to drive it.
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

that or pressure wash the crap out of the undercarriage every few days
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginJeeper View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be flushing the fluids next weekend with royal purple as I've used them and they have always performed well for me.
meh up to you, I get 8 months of snow/-20 to -55 temps, I do nothing aside from plugging it in when it get s below -30, only thing I do is plug it in around NOV to make srue the heater is working and make sure the antifreexe is good so I dont get a block of ice.... OH OH change your washer fluid, lots of people forget that and end up with a busted washer fluid tank when it frezzes to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Park it in the garage before the road salt starts. Then bring it out when the salt is gone.

Takes all of a minute or so.
SAD, its a jeep not a ferrari, lamest thing I ever heard... really this is just lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRyans33 View Post
that or pressure wash the crap out of the undercarriage every few days
this to, if you live where thye use salt, ..... spay it down good....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #13
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Given that you live in Arlington, Va I really think you're reading way too much into it and worrying too much. Put it this way: I live just north of Buffalo NY, just a hair away from Canada, and I don't even worry about it that much. I use synthetic Mobil-1 10W30 year round, no probs. I do let it warm up longer in the winter... start it up and let it idle in the drive until the snow melts off it. The trans and diff fluid stays the same, no changes there. I do check the antifreeze in October, just to make sure its strong enough. It usually lasts a few years without probs. I already had the block and heater flushed last January. You can get the adapter kit to do it at Wal-Mart for $4.

Up here they cure the road kill with salt so it doesn't even start to rot until June. The flies won't even touch it. So I hose it off once a month during winter at the car wash.

And that's all the winter care it needs. Of course I make sure to keep it tuned up and the electricals tight, year round.

Unread 09-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

i agree with oldtime, i was stationed up in ft drum and i didnt do anything special there either other than make sure i had a few mre's and water with me. the cold down here in va compared to there is like night and day
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #15
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...j-when-502691/
first post. lol

Besides that, anti freeze and a good battery Manual says change from 10w30 to 5w30 but that shouldnt matter unless it cranks slow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.