Cold Start Turned Into No Start...Problem Resolved...Lesson Learned... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cold Start Turned Into No Start...Problem Resolved...Lesson Learned...

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-05-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
tony673
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cold Start Turned Into No Start...Problem Resolved...Lesson Learned...

I thought I would share an experience I had last evening in hopes that it may help someone else in the future. Here it goes......

Last night, I headed to the parking garage after a long shift at work. It was a cold 28 degrees. Before I jumped up into my Jeep, I reached in and started the engine. Once I hopped up, I realized that I had forgotten to unlock the console that had my CD player face plate in it. Without thinking, I immediately turned the engine off and unlocked the lid.

With faceplate in place I quickly moved to restart the engine to get some heat going. To my dismay it only cranked.....and cranked.....and cranked.... Puzzled, I turned off the key and let out a few curse words. I gave it a minute or so and cranked again. Nothing.

Back out of the Jeep I went and I moved to the front of the Heep to lift the hood. Immediately I smelled fuel. Instantly I thought that the motor was flooded. "Great", I thought. I had no tools, no flashlight, and no anything. What the heck was I going to do?? I couldn't pull the spark plugs to dry out the cylinders by hand. And at this temperature it would take hours for the gasoline to vaporize in the closed, cold cylinders!

I decided to head back into the hospital to gather some makeshift tools and to warm up. I came back out with a flashlight, some tape, hemostats, and a flathead screwdriver. I didn't know what the heck I would use them for, but they would be more use than nothing at all.

On the way back out I decided it might be a good idea to check the fuses in case my initial hypothesis was incorrect. Upon arrival back to the vehicle, I looked over all of the important fuses, inside and out. Everything checked out ok. At that moment, the idea of the century came to me.

Backing my original idea, I thought that if I pulled the fuel pump relay, then cranked the engine, it would dry out the cyclinders and burn off most of the fuel that was flooding them without adding any more.

I tried the idea and cranked until there was no more sputtering. I put the relay back in place and gave it a try. It fired right up! The ride home was flawless. I had never been happier to hear the clunk of my exhaust hitting the frame over bumps, or the feel of the freezing cold rush of air on my leg coming through a small srew hole in my firewall .

I know, I know. I'm an idiot for shutting the engine off after just starting it. The outcome was positive, though, and it was a lesson learned. Thanks for reading.

tony673 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Very clever - thanks for Posting that!
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting solution to a flooded engine.

AFAIK, most (if not all) fuel injected engines have a "flood clear" mode that goes into effect when you floor the gas pedal and crank the engine. This shuts off the injectors until the excess fuel is cleared from the cylinders. I know that it's a feature on the Howell TBI kit, I'd be really surprised if the '07 JK with MPFI didn't have this feature.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.