Cold Start Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cold Start Issues

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 10-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
DocBatman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Cold Start Issues

Hey guys, first post here. I've done a few searches and I realize I'm not the first to post on this issue but was looking for some more guidance.

First off, I have a 1989 YJ, 6 cylinder, with a Weber Carb.

Plugs, wires, and distributor cap < 1 year old.

New fuel pump and filter.

Just bought this Jeep and it doesn't like to start first thing in the morning. After the first start she will fire right up throughout the rest of the day. When I first got it the choke was loose and I tightened that up but it hasn't fixed the problem. I replaced the fuel pump and filter but that hasn't done the trick either.

When I go to start it, I have to crank it for about 15 seconds (if I only hit the gas once or twice) for it to start.

If I pump the gas pedal 5 times it will start right up, then immediately die. (Does the same when I only pump the pedal once or twice but much more briefly) If I then pump the gas pedal a few more times and crank it, it will start and run fine.

I am wondering if my fuel is draining all the way back to the tank and that is why it takes so long to start? Or do I have another issue? I read another post about installing a check valve from a BMW but was unable to find a post about part # for it. Or does the problem lie in the gas tank itself and the sending unit? (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/fuel-se...-53003204.html)

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

DocBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
DocBatman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Found the thread for the BMW part:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/g...nstall-395404/

Also, just got an idea from my Uncle I am going to try. Tomorrow morning (once its "cold") I'm going to disconnect the fuel supply to the carb and then crank the engine and see how long it takes before fuel comes out the line. If it takes awhile then I should have my answer.
Unread 10-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBatman View Post
Hey guys, first post here. I've done a few searches and I realize I'm not the first to post on this issue but was looking for some more guidance.

Just bought this Jeep and it doesn't like to start first thing in the morning. After the first start she will fire right up throughout the rest of the day. When I first got it the choke was loose and I tightened that up but it hasn't fixed the problem. I replaced the fuel pump and filter but that hasn't done the trick either.

When I go to start it, I have to crank it for about 15 seconds (if I only hit the gas once or twice) for it to start.

If I pump the gas pedal 5 times it will start right up, then immediately die. (Does the same when I only pump the pedal once or twice but much more briefly) If I then pump the gas pedal a few more times and crank it, it will start and run fine.

I am wondering if my fuel is draining all the way back to the tank and that is why it takes so long to start? Or do I have another issue? I read another post about installing a check valve from a BMW but was unable to find a post about part # for it. Or does the problem lie in the gas tank itself and the sending unit? (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/fuel-sending-unit-non-efi-53003204.html)

its carbed, dont pump it 5 times, your on the verge of flooding it....

cold start.... pump ONCE to the floor, to set choke, start it, it should fire and idle high for a bit, then kick down once its warm....

RARELY I ahve to pupm mine more then once on cold morningto get it to start, ONLY if the choke dont set... I would look at your choke

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

since i pulled my weber off and installed that old holley, i have not had to pump it once to start it. i set the choke and hit the gas and it fires right up on cool days and on warm days i don;t even have to do that, it fires up as quick as my wife's 93 fuel injected 4.0 did
Unread 10-22-2011, 04:52 AM   #5
gaetano
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I am wondering if my fuel is draining all the way back to the tank and that is why it takes so long to start? Or do I have another issue? I read another post about installing a check valve from a BMW but was unable to find a post about part # for it. Or does the problem lie in the gas tank itself and the sending unit? (http://www.jeep4x4center.com/fuel-se...-53003204.html)

I have the same issue with my 87 4.2 .....can't seem to get her going in the morning without pumping her 8-10 times....I replaced the carter with a weber carb..new fuel pump...fuel filter...egr valve and still no go...any new suggestions??
gaetano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #6
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When you guys say pumping the peddle how fast are you doing it quickly or slowly? If you are pumping more than twice check you accelerator pump adjustment. It might not be set properly, is dirty leaky or just wore out. To check this without the engine running look down the carb and see if you have a stream of gas coming into the throttle body or the carb when you open the accelerator by hand to the full open position.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
DocBatman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
When you guys say pumping the peddle how fast are you doing it quickly or slowly? If you are pumping more than twice check you accelerator pump adjustment. It might not be set properly, is dirty leaky or just wore out. To check this without the engine running look down the carb and see if you have a stream of gas coming into the throttle body or the carb when you open the accelerator by hand to the full open position.
I am pumping it slowly.

Also, I opened up the carb and when I pump the accelerator gas only squirts into one half of the carb.
Unread 10-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am pumping it slowly.

Also, I opened up the carb and when I pump the accelerator gas only squirts into one half of the carb.
step down on the peddle fairly quickly and smooth to about 3/4 of the way,then then let up and try starting. One side hmmm does not sound right to me but I'm not sure if the weber carb is a two stage carb or single stage. Are both barrels opening up at the same time ( single stage)at the same rate??? Or is one start opening at about half throttle (two stage)? Which would be right for what you saw. Also check your timing with out vacuum advance connected.
Unread 10-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
DocBatman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I took apart the carb in order to clean out the "jet" for the other side and it turns out its just a dummy "jet." It looks like it is supposed to squirt out gas but it doesn't have a hole drilled in it. Just for cosmetics I guess. :-/

Both barrels open up at the same time.

How would I check out my timing without the vacuum advance? Not sure which hose to D/C for that. Thanks.
Unread 10-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I took apart the carb in order to clean out the "jet" for the other side and it turns out its just a dummy "jet." It looks like it is supposed to squirt out gas but it doesn't have a hole drilled in it. Just for cosmetics I guess. :-/

Both barrels open up at the same time.

How would I check out my timing without the vacuum advance? Not sure which hose to D/C for that. Thanks.

Try right at the distributor and plug it up before testing.
Unread 10-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
DocBatman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
Try right at the distributor and plug it up before testing.
I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Your choke isn't set right and/or you have vacuum leaks. 1 pump on the gas pedal in mild weather and 2 or 3 pumps in cold weather and any carbed engine should fire up and run. Fast idle is done by the choke controlled fast idle cam.

The extra pumps are necessary in cold weather to dump raw gas into the intake manifold via the accelerator pump.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.