Cold=Runs Like Crap, Warm=Runs Good - Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cold=Runs Like Crap, Warm=Runs Good - Help!

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-21-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
CheapSunglasses
2007 XK Commander 

Cold=Runs Like Crap, Warm=Runs Good - Help!

I rebuilt my crapola Carter and reinstalled on my 4.2 when the weather was in the 60' and she ran fine.

Now that the weather dips into the 30's at night and barely into the 40's during the day, she runs HORRIBLE until warmed up.

Symtoms are: At startup she sputters so bad I have to feather the gas for 30 seconds until she clears out and runs fairly steady....I start to drive and come to the end of my street and she races to about 1500 RPMs....I then drive for a half a mile or so and she starts to studder and miss, so I downshift to get the RPMs up and she kinda clears out....I drive a little wile longer and come ot a stop sign, she races to about 1100 RPMs and then slowly drops until she stalls....I start her back up and drive to my destination and she races at about 1500 RPMs until I pull into the parking spot and then I shut her off to a slight run on and finally off....This is most embarassing because I drop my daughter off at school every morning and all the hot little soccer moms in their Lexus' and Benz's point and snicker at me

She finally starts running okay when I pull back into my driveway

I have NO CLUE what the issues might be and am not in the position now to nutter or change to a different carb or FI....I would just like some possible tips on how th get my mojo back

Last edited by CheapSunglasses; 11-21-2008 at 12:00 PM..
CheapSunglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
kmj153
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My jeep does the same thing (1990 with carter carb). I just let it get warmed up and then I drive it.
Unread 11-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It has to be an automatic choke issue. Is the bi-metal coil that operates the chole properly engaged?

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
CheapSunglasses
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
It has to be an automatic choke issue. Is the bi-metal coil that operates the chole properly engaged?
How do I tell?....It moves freely by hand, but I'm not sure if it is acting properly during warm-up.
Unread 11-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I second the choke diagnosis, but it could be a thermostat problem If the thermostat is stuck open, the engine will take forever to warm up. This happened on my 1986 Toyota 22R engine. Ran like crap for more than 20 minutes and never warmed up in the winter.
Unread 11-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check the manifold heater too.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
CheapSunglasses
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
I second the choke diagnosis, but it could be a thermostat problem If the thermostat is stuck open, the engine will take forever to warm up. This happened on my 1986 Toyota 22R engine. Ran like crap for more than 20 minutes and never warmed up in the winter.
I bought a new thermostat a couple of weeks ago and have'nt had a chance to install it....I'm gonna do it this weekend.

I'm also gonna check the manifold heater and choke as suggested (thanks)....Any other ideas?

Unread 11-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

this is not normal It should work well cold.

With the engine dead cold in the morning, remove the air cleaner look to see that the choke valve is (lightly) closed. when the engine warms up it should be fully open.

Be sure the hot air duct hose is in place from the exhause manifold up to the air cleaner. Make sure the flapper valve on the air intake snorkel moves when the engine starts cold to draw air through the hot air duct.

There are two important sensors, one on the air cleaner houseing, one by the intake manifold (see the sprynet link in the faq to find thes). Be sure they are both working as they should.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
CheapSunglasses
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
this is not normal It should work well cold.

With the engine dead cold in the morning, remove the air cleaner look to see that the choke valve is (lightly) closed. when the engine warms up it should be fully open.

Be sure the hot air duct hose is in place from the exhause manifold up to the air cleaner. Make sure the flapper valve on the air intake snorkel moves when the engine starts cold to draw air through the hot air duct.

There are two important sensors, one on the air cleaner houseing, one by the intake manifold (see the sprynet link in the faq to find thes). Be sure they are both working as they should.
That could be another issue....I don't have the tube from the manifold to the air cleaner. Thanks!
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
lclark2074
1990 YJ Wrangler 

can anyone tell me ware the elect for the choke is fed forum? my choke is not getting no power to heat up element it is a 4.2L with a carb
lclark2074 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.