Cold, rough idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cold, rough idle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Bad_Dog
2013 JK Wrangler 

Cold, rough idle

A problem just cropped up... Lately, and I mean since the end of summer, I noticed that it's a little hard to start. Doesn't sound like the battery or starter is on death's door, but takes a few extra seconds to start. Within the past couple of months, it sounds as if the battery is on its last leg to start but does start up.

The battery is several years old so I figured that it's time to be replaced anyway. Before I replaced the battery (a couple of days leading up to it), I noticed that when I started it up on cold mornings, it was idling rough. Revving to 1k RPMs and it sounds like it's wanting to hesitate. It's a little hard to tell because the bottom part of my cat rusted off and it stuck between the cat and the skid plate so it causes it to rattle.

Replaced the battery and it starts the same way (that hasn't changed, still takes a few extra seconds, beyond my previous "normal" to start) and doesn't idle well (sounds rough), vibrates a little, but only when it's cold. After it's up to normal temp, starting it up still sounds the same but it idles fine.

Computer isn't showing any codes so I'm a little confused. Maybe the starter is going out, but would that cause it to idle rough when cold?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.