Cold Engine Starting Trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cold Engine Starting Trouble

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 10-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
sherrodk
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cold Engine Starting Trouble

2 months ago I purchased a 1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ, It has been running great but this week it started taking 3 to 4 minutes of cranking in the morning to get it started. After that it starts great unless it is off for 4 to 5 hours then same thing. I have replaced the fuel filter, and plugs but do not know what to try now. Any help would be great

sherrodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Read this thread & see if it applies to your situation.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...rs-ecu-492597/

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
sherrodk
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have not seen a problem with the check engine light or hearing a clicking sound when I turn the key on. It does crank every time. I forgot to say once it does start it almost sounds like it is flooded and takes about 30 seconds then goes to a high idle.
Unread 10-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
sherrodk
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This may help, today was the first day I have started my jeep in 3 days. I turned the key to on then waited for the Check Engine light to come on. Once it did it started right up.
Unread 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
brinoff

1993 YJ Wrangler 

What code does the check engine light give you? My guess is a sensor; crank position, throttle postion, or oxygen.
93YJ 4.0 I6, AX-15, NP231 Teraflex SYE, Tom Wood Drive Shaft, G2 D44 ARB, ARB locked 30, T&T customs axle trusses, ProComp 35" Mud Terrain, RE SD 4" Lift, Daystar 1" BL, Harbor Freight 8000 Winch, Swing Away Tire Carrier, and some other stuff.
brinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Georgec3_
2010 JK Wrangler 

My temp gauge isn't working in my YJ. I bought a cheap temp sending unit at the salvage. When I put it in the motor would hardly stay running, and my temp gauge still didn't work. I put the old one back in and it runs just fine. The short version try replacing the temp sending unit
Georgec3_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrodk View Post
This may help, today was the first day I have started my jeep in 3 days. I turned the key to on then waited for the Check Engine light to come on. Once it did it started right up.
If that is the case, then I suggest you reread the link that MeanMAx provided. Bad capacitors in the ECU are the cause of the CEL light not coming on immediately when the ignition is turned on. This means the ECM is not powered up initially, therefore no power to the ASD or Fuel pump until the CEL lamp illuminates, thus the hard starts when cold.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
sherrodk
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I checked the codes and Got 12 - 33 -55. Looking at the list I do not see it listing a problem. Do you think it may by the Fuel pump relay control circuit?
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the fuel pressure at the rail ?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
sherrodk
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I am pretty sure its the ECU, I am going to give it a try this weekend.
Unread 10-18-2009, 05:57 AM   #11
sherrodk
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok gave it a try Saturday and the capacitor on the right by itself was blown, and keeps blowing repaced that one twice. Now the jeep won't start at all, the check engine light never comes on. What do you think the next step should be?
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #12
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrodk View Post
Ok gave it a try Saturday and the capacitor on the right by itself was blown, and keeps blowing repaced that one twice. Now the jeep won't start at all, the check engine light never comes on. What do you think the next step should be?
Did you install the capacitors with the strip on them in the same orientation as the ones you removed? They are electrolytic, so they have to be installed with the correct polarity. The strip indicates which side is the negative. If the new cap is "blowing", it sounds like it may be installed backwards. The ECM is definitely at fault here and these capacitors have always been the fix. If you can't get these to work, then you will need another ECM.
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
YJ Newby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Read this thread & see if it applies to your situation.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...rs-ecu-492597/

Max
Probably a dumb question, but will this fix work on a 4.2L that has been "nuttered"? My Jeep cranks and cranks and cranks in the morning, but once the engine is warm, it fires up beautifully. Or, should I be looking at something else as the root of my cold starts?

Thanks!
YJ Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
idaholtby
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ Newby View Post
Probably a dumb question, but will this fix work on a 4.2L that has been "nuttered"? My Jeep cranks and cranks and cranks in the morning, but once the engine is warm, it fires up beautifully. Or, should I be looking at something else as the root of my cold starts?

Thanks!
No, it is only for '91-'95 OBDI 2.5L and 4.0L
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
sherrodk
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If I did install them incorrectly would that hurt it? I will check and see if they are in correctly and re-do them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.