Cold blooded yj!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cold blooded yj!!!

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Cold blooded yj!!!

hey, so my yj that i recently acquired in june has been running like sh*t! it has the 4.2 and i did the nutter reset the timing cleaned the carter carbeurater( has a manual choke) checked for vacuum line leaks and for some reason it runs like terrible when its cold, it will die wont idle and if it does its really rough. The funny thing is when its warmed up it idles super smooth and runs great! Is there anything i can do to make it not such a b*tch to start my thought was to put a motorcraft on but after doing research the carb seems so hit or miss and an expensive risk. someone suggested putting an hei distribueter on and maybe that would help. Im so lost on it so please help!

Unread 11-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Do the things that are on it stock to make it run better in the cold work, i.e. the manifold heater and the tube from air cleaner to the exhaust manifold with the flap door?

FWIW, mine is almost totally stock except nutter bypass and team rush and it starts and runs dependably no matter how cold it is. Figure out what is wrong with it, don't throw expensive parts at it.

I have a manual choke. It does take a lot longer to push the choke in the colder it gets.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not to hijack, but...

Mine has been acting up in the cold too. Similar issue; barely idles when I first start it, "lopes" really bad, and I have to give it a little gas/rpm to keep it going for the first few seconds. After about 30 seconds of idling, the rpms jump a bit, and it sounds fine. Once it has idled a minute it runs fine like normal. If I try to start it and just drive off, it tries to stall out, especially between gears. Any thoughts?

Jeep 2.5L/Ax5.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Lose the manual choke and put the auto choke back on.

Make sure the heat stove, CTO, and vacuum system is properly connected and working. Check the entire motor and vacuum system for leaks, esp the EGR system and the intake manifold to head gasket area. Also check the carb baseplate for vacuum leaks.

Poor cold engine operation is always a lean mixture problem, find out why it is running lean.
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Not to hijack, but...

Mine has been acting up in the cold too. Similar issue; barely idles when I first start it, "lopes" really bad, and I have to give it a little gas/rpm to keep it going for the first few seconds. After about 30 seconds of idling, the rpms jump a bit, and it sounds fine. Once it has idled a minute it runs fine like normal. If I try to start it and just drive off, it tries to stall out, especially between gears. Any thoughts?

Jeep 2.5L/Ax5.

Cheers
Your MPFI like me. These guys ae carbs. Big Big difference. If I were you I would start with checking for codes.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post

Your MPFI like me. These guys ae carbs. Big Big difference. If I were you I would start with checking for codes.
No codes. Just a similar problem and I know its a big difference, just figured there was no reason to start a new thread.

Cheers
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No codes. Just a similar problem and I know its a big difference, just figured there was no reason to start a new thread.

Cheers
Have you checked for Vac leaks? I am trying to remember what Que taught me when he was helping me with an issue. When the engine is cold the air temp, coolant temp, and map sensor are what controls the air\fuel mix. I would check for vac leaks and then check those sensors to make sure they are clean. How does it run at WOT. It will again switch back to those sensors at WOT.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have you checked for Vac leaks? I am trying to remember what Que taught me when he was helping me with an issue. When the engine is cold the air temp, coolant temp, and map sensor are what controls the air\fuel mix. I would check for vac leaks and then check those sensors to make sure they are clean. How does it run at WOT. It will again switch back to those sensors at WOT.
Haven't checked for Vac leaks yet. At WOT it runs fine. So I start it and it "stumbles" for about 30 seconds at what seems to be too low of an idle, after about 30-45 seconds, the rpms jump a bit and it idles fine. If I start it and mash the gas to WOT, it runs fine while the gas is on, but when it returns to idle it begins stumbling again until it's ran for a bit...

Cheers
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked fuel pressure? Particularly if the pressure stays above 20psi for 20 minutes with the engine off.

Unread 11-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have you checked fuel pressure? Particularly if the pressure stays above 20psi for 20 minutes with the engine off.
I must admit, I don't know how to check that.

Cheers
Unread 11-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I must admit, I don't know how to check that.

Cheers
You cant rent the gauge from autozone or advance. It hooks up to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail(looks like a valve stem from a tire) Start up the engine. You should be reading 31 psi. Pull the vac line of the Fuel Pressure regulater(other end of fuel rail) it should shoot up to 39 psi. Shut the engine off leave the gauge hooked up. It should stay above 20 psi for 20 minutes.

Unread 11-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You cant rent the gauge from autozone or advance. It hooks up to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail(looks like a valve stem from a tire) Start up the engine. You should be reading 31 psi. Pull the vac line of the Fuel Pressure regulater(other end of fuel rail) it should shoot up to 39 psi. Shut the engine off leave the gauge hooked up. It should stay above 20 psi for 20 minutes.
Thanks.
I'll try that tomorrow.

Cheers
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

None of the fuel pressure,sensor, fuel regulator, fuel rail, schrader valve, leakdown test, etc drivel has ANYTHING to do with the OP's problem.

If you want to troubleshoot fuel injection woes, please start your own thread. You are doing nothing but confusing newbies to the site here.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.