cold air intakes,yes or no? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cold air intakes,yes or no?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 03-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
fireguyl9
1995 YJ Wrangler 

cold air intakes,yes or no?

thinking about installing a cold air intake system.
Is the cost worth any noticeable improvements or are they a pain in the butt?

fireguyl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
spjewell
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Don't do it! I purchased my YJ with one installed, it lets fine sand/silt through that will work its way into your engine. When I took my injectors in to be cleaned and have the filters replaced there was a beach party in there from the blow back.

If you do choose to go with a cold air intake system, make sure you spend the extra bux on a pre-filter (this most likely will negate any performance gains you receive to protect your engine)
spjewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Read this:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...ing-true-lies/
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Save your money...

If you wheel, and there is any water, then a snorkel or hummer intake (see my thread in signature) makes more sense.
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
metalhead
2000 WJ 

I have had one on every vehicle I have owned and never had a problem. I would stay away from the ones that have you oil the filter after you clean it. I have the afe setup on my grand Cherokee. It has a dry filter. Just wash it when dirty, let it dry and put it back in. They are all overpriced for what you get and they don't do much for performance. On my grand Cherokee anyway I mainly installed one to eliminate unnecessary parts. It makes it easier to work on the engine without having to remove this big plastic piece that was attached to the throttle body. I will be putting one on my wrangler as soon as funds allow.
metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguyl9 View Post
thinking about installing a cold air intake system.
Is the cost worth any noticeable improvements or are they a pain in the butt?
You can gain as much HP and improve your fuel mileage by the same amount by simply chrome plating every part of your Jeep.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #7
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What if I live in the cold?

Sent from my rotary phone using JeepForum
Unread 03-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

no noticeable anything. you'll try to find the slightest difference just to justify the price, but theres none.

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That is a very good article Que, glad you posted that link it's going to change what I spend my money on now. My only question from that is what header out there has flex built into it? I saw one on quadratec that has flex sections built in, same as I sell at work. Anyone use those, or would it be better to put a braided flex section in the pipe before the cat somewhere?
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
What if I live in the cold?

Sent from my rotary phone using JeepForum
Then it works even more against you. Warm or hot air atomizes the fuel better and burns better. There is a reason power plants preheat combustion air.

Cold air is for drag racing where the colder, denser air permits a richer mixture. You never run this rich on the street. In fact, if you have EFI your engine computer works very hard to keep the mixture at exactly stoichiometric. So cooling the inlet air is compensated by a change in the fuel mapping, and you end up exactly where you started.

Cold air systems are marketing hype. 99.9% of the vehicles that have them don't need them - except for bro-tastic bragging rights.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 05:12 AM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The braided flex helps with the cracking issue on the manifold. If its by the cat it seems it would be too far away to help. Plym x2, I think thats was why they said no on the MPFI but yes on the carb.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #12
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Flex closer to the flange then? Maybe on the vertical section of the tube?
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
Save your money...
I've got a 93 YJ, and two '04 TJ Rubicons. The latest Rubicon I bought had a number of PO installed systems that I have been working my way through, "unboogering" up everything that he or the PO PO had installed. I am almost down to just the cold air intake and Throttle body spacer that was on it when I bought it. I am hoping that at some point I will see on Craigslist a stock intake/airbox/etc will show up so I can dump the current aftermarket parts and buy that person's OEM intake system.
This Jeep has far poorer performance than my YJ which has 130,000 miles MORE on it, and it is noticeably weaker than my other Rubicon. Thumbs down from me on the cold air intake/throttle body spacer garbage I've got now.

If anyone happens to also have a TJ with the right part number on that system, pls PM me so that we can swap systems.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 06:10 AM   #14
willawolfe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My air filter box retainers failed so the box doesn't shut tightly, that's gotta be good for about 7hp right?
willawolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #15
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willawolfe View Post
My air filter box retainers failed so the box doesn't shut tightly, that's gotta be good for about 7hp right?
10 if you throw a sweet sticker on it.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.