Cold air intake or Redirect? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cold air intake or Redirect?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cold air intake or Redirect?

Im looking to put on a Cold Air intake on the 4cyl. just like everyone else im trying to get the most from the underpowered motor. I feel that the stock box does restrict some flow. Im not one that swims with the jeep i am more of a mud guy so im not to worried about flooding it.

Just want to see what everyone else has to say about adding the CAI and what do i do with the CCV hose?

I was also thinking about utilizing the cowl and rerouting some pipe through the firewall and to that area below the window. Anyone have any input on that?

bcusstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Dont waste your time money or effort.
The only real way to get more giddyup is motor swap or re-gear.
The return on investment just isn't there with little bolt on stuff.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ I didn't notice a thing, went back to stock air box. The stock box is more of a cold air intake than what they call a cold air intake. If you notice the intake hole, directly behind the grill. Doesn't get any colder than that. Unless you put a snorkel kit on. And the thing about constricting air flow, this is a load. You can put the biggest filter and biggest tube, but sooner or later, it's going to go back to the stock size ( throttle body diameter doesn't change). So no matter what you do, it's still stock diameter. Make a snorkel if you want real cold air.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are You Saying That The Fifty Dollar Investment Won't yield Any Return In Mpgs Or Minor Power?
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcusstc
Are You Saying That The Fifty Dollar Investment Won't yield Any Return In Mpgs Or Minor Power?
It makes a neat whooshing sound. And adding a filter on a tube attached to your throttle body just adds warm air and defeats the purpose.

Unread 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
bcusstc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
^^^ I didn't notice a thing, went back to stock air box. The stock box is more of a cold air intake than what they call a cold air intake. If you notice the intake hole, directly behind the grill. Doesn't get any colder than that. Unless you put a snorkel kit on. And the thing about constricting air flow, this is a load. You can put the biggest filter and biggest tube, but sooner or later, it's going to go back to the stock size ( throttle body diameter doesn't change). So no matter what you do, it's still stock diameter. Make a snorkel if you want real cold air.

Ok So What If I Redirect Tubing To Collect Cold Air From The Cowl With One Of Those Collectors To Force The Cold Air Down And In?
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcusstc
A

Ok So What If I Redirect Tubing To Collect Cold Air From The Cowl With One Of Those Collectors To Force The Cold Air Down And In?
You could do this, keeping in mind that the cowel is also a drain. You will have to make damn sure you won't get any water in your intake. Also keep in mind a home made snorkel would only run you 60-100 bucks.

Unread 04-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I did the tube filter just because the stock intake was right where water would enter crossing streams. I have crossed many streams where the bow wave goes over the hood, where the stock intake is water would pour in, using the cowl would also be a problem since I've had water splashing up to the winshield, the water level in the engine compartment stays well below the bow wave if you keep moving. I've had no need for a snorkel......yet. As far as power I think you would be better off with a header and cat-back, I did not notice a dfference with my intake but did with my headers (I've got a 4.0)
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
jsd1991yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you do any kind of intake you should also look at changing your throttle body to a 4.0 thottle body. more air flow. Even if you don't change your intake, it would probably still flow more air with the 4.0 tb.
jsd1991yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.