Cold Air Intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cold Air Intake

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
Imigorski
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cold Air Intake

I just bought a '90 YJ. It has a 2.5 but it needs to be rebuilt. I'm fine with the 4 cyl, but it came with a cold air intake that needs to be replaced. I'm just wondering if anyone has any strong feelings about the cold air intake vs. the stock. Thanks.

Imigorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
jcook1989
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Don't have a 4 cyl but the same basic idea applies. My cold air an AEM Brute Force. It is less restrictive then a stock air box that has been proven in numerous tests so its not even debatable. I can feel the extra power and noticed a increase in fuel milage. The stock box picks up the air just bellow the head light. My cold air sits higher and is less likely to suck in water when stream crossing. One final thing is the filter element is a large cone that is reusable and can be cleaned. The thing I liked about the AEM instead of a K&N is that the AEM needs no oiling after it is cleaned. I would say go for it. Mine cost about $250 at 4 Wheel Parts.
jcook1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
NJeepyj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I too, looked at a lot of kits. X2 on the AEM Brute Force just because it places the air intake higher. I also got a higher revving 4.0 which breathes much better. The 4.0 also likes a less restrictive exhaust system. Doing both is a good thing.

91 4.0 stick. Posi Lok, Borla, 31s on steelies, Dem Bonz Shackles and lots of other junk on my junk.
NJeepyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
romo1000
1991 YJ Wrangler 

whats wrong with the one you have? is the filter gone, is the plastic cracked? could you get a new filter or fix it. they cost alot for a little plastic and if you already got it why not see if it can be salvaged?
romo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
Imigorski
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like there is a blown gasket in the engine and oil was blown all the way to the top of the intake. It may be salvageable, I will def. need a new filter and maybe more, I'm really not too familiar with the cold air setup. I'm just trying to get a feel for whether or not its worth the headache to stick with the one I have or to just go the stock route.
Unread 07-15-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

those things are total street-mod ricer B.S. so it sits an inch higher, the whole point of the box design is to trap water before it gets sucked up. it does actually work. no it won’t work for deep continual submerged crossings but it will work a whole lot better then a naked cone filter in the middle of the engine bay. that whole "cold air" thing is ridiculous. just look at it .you aren’t getting any colder air then a stock setup. even if you did, do you really think it would be enough to make a difference?...no. you simply cant add up all the supposed horsepower increase numbers with each "mod" that’s printed on the box. it doesn’t work that way. "seat-of-the-pants" increases? who wants to admit they spent 250-300 on something that only made your jeep less viable in an offroad situation?

people there are allot of products out there that are designed exclusively for taking your money, and ill admit the products in question aren’t the worst examples. just watch TV in the middle of the day and you’ll see what im talking about. "snake oils and tonics" have a long tradition in this country. the inventor of the throttle-body spacer...brilliant! tell people by moving the throttle body up a 1/2" that they will have increased horsepower and fuel economy and they will pay good money for something that would cost pennies to produce. the "tornado" who in the world would buy that! just look at its claims and any intelligent person can see that its total B.S. the marketing flaw with the tornado is you can’t see it while it’s installed. people want to "see" their horsepower gains. the biggest question asked of that device is, "does it spin?" another marketing flaw. it should spin and whistle so people know its "working."

i know allot of people use these things and im going to offend and start a 40 page thread rant, but really be self critical and think about it. does it look cooler than the stock item and does it come with a sticker? if this is why you bought it then fine. have a hell of a time. but i get sick of people spouting off trying to rationalize it by stating figures from the box and false claims of better performance.

before anyone gets their panties in a bunch ill quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imigorski View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone has any strong feelings about the cold air intake vs. the stock. Thanks.

Last edited by fratis; 07-15-2008 at 02:07 PM..
fratis is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
AZ95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

To be honest it truly isn't a "Cold Air" Intake. In order for it to be a true Cold Air Intake it would need to pull the air in from the outside directly (like a snorkel does).

Now, that aside I bought an aftermarket intake (Airaid) because I figured that it would add some more power to my Jeep and also give me some better fuel economy (by sucking in more air and haveing a better fuel/air mixture, etc.). Well my fuel economy stayed around the same as long as I didn't press too hard on the skinny pedal. The other thing is that I really didn't feel much of a power increase (this is the 4.0 Engine I'm talking about), however if you look at all of their test results you will see that the max HP is gained at around 4000 - 4500 RPMs. How many of us take our Jeeps that high? (When I get going I personally don't like to go above 4,000 RPMs)

Now, where I did notice the most gain in power is when I put on my Gibson Cat-Back. I felt quite a bit more power on the low end and I could definately speed up faster. I get about the same gas mileage as before, but I really need to keep the lead out of my feet otherwise it'll go down to about 16 mpg's from 18. When you look at the test results for exhaust systems you will find that a lot of their power is gained at lower RPMs, and that is exactly what I felt.

Personally I would have been happier doing the Cat-Back first, but if I went that route, then I may have never bought the Intake. I'm not trying to say that the intake is bad, you just won't feel as much of a difference as you would with a new exhaust.

My $0.02
AZ95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
moldham

I like mine!! Made a differance for mine
moldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
those things are total street-mod ricer B.S. so it sits an inch higher, the whole point of the box design is to trap water before it gets sucked up. it does actually work. no it wonít work for deep continual submerged crossings but it will work a whole lot better then a naked cone filter in the middle of the engine bay. that whole "cold air" thing is ridiculous. just look at it .you arenít getting any colder air then a stock setup. even if you did, do you really think it would be enough to make a difference?...no. you simply cant add up all the supposed horsepower increase numbers with each "mod" thatís printed on the box. it doesnít work that way. "seat-of-the-pants" increases? who wants to admit they spent 250-300 on something that only made your jeep less viable in an offroad situation?

people there are allot of products out there that are designed exclusively for taking your money, and ill admit the products in question arenít the worst examples. just watch TV in the middle of the day and youíll see what im talking about. "snake oils and tonics" have a long tradition in this country. the inventor of the throttle-body spacer...brilliant! tell people by moving the throttle body up a 1/2" that they will have increased horsepower and fuel economy and they will pay good money for something that would cost pennies to produce. the "tornado" who in the world would buy that! just look at its claims and any intelligent person can see that its total B.S. the marketing flaw with the tornado is you canít see it while itís installed. people want to "see" their horsepower gains. the biggest question asked of that device is, "does it spin?" another marketing flaw. it should spin and whistle so people know its "working."

i know allot of people use these things and im going to offend and start a 40 page thread rant, but really be self critical and think about it. does it look cooler than the stock item and does it come with a sticker? if this is why you bought it then fine. have a hell of a time. but i get sick of people spouting off trying to rationalize it by stating figures from the box and false claims of better performance.

before anyone gets their panties in a bunch ill quote:

CAN I GET AN "AMEN" BRUTHA?

Well said fratis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
NJeepyj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'll listen to any point of view. Other jeepers have driven mine and all have commented on the power compared to the 4.0s they are driving. Short a dyno, next best test: PASSED.

91 4.0 stick. Posi Lok, Borla, 31s on steelies, Dem Bonz Shackles and lots of other junk on my junk.
NJeepyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
crusty75
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imigorski View Post
It looks like there is a blown gasket in the engine and oil was blown all the way to the top of the intake. It may be salvageable, I will def. need a new filter and maybe more, I'm really not too familiar with the cold air setup. I'm just trying to get a feel for whether or not its worth the headache to stick with the one I have or to just go the stock route.
I'd be a lot more concerned with this "blown gasket". Sounds to me like you have some PCV system work to do before you replace the air cleaner, otherwise you'll be replacing it over and over, "cold air" or not.

And I'm with the nay sayers on "high performance" air cleaners off road. Proven fact that they don't filter dust as well as stock. They're great for a monster air sucking high performance racing engine, but the little squirrels in a jeep motor just don't use that much air. Racing engines are rebuilt on a regular basis, abrasion from dirt and dust doesn't matter much. Most jeepers don't rebuild their engines every week, or after every run.
Unread 07-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
Imigorski
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you all, I know I have some work to do, I'm just starting in and looking at what I've got. I appreciate the advice sounds like going back to the stock box is the way to go. Thanks again.
Unread 07-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

going back to the stock box IMO is not the way to go. everyone feels a little too religious for or against cold air intakes. The fact is they do work, thats the end of it. Sure, you don't reep the real benefits of it until like 4500 rpms as far as power goes, but if u look at the charts more air is consistently being flowed in then the stock set up, and the HP/TQ is consistently higher then stock through the curves. Its not taken your money its doing what it says its going to: more air gets in, the snorkel is less restrictive since it is smooth and has a larger diameter, the filter is re-usable, and more MPG is achieved if you don't drive it like you need the power.

this is off K&N's web site:
"ADVERTISING CLAIMS

Mechanical testing performed at one of our testing facilities supports all horsepower and torque claims advertised by K&N. Horsepower and torque claims are based on testing of an actual vehicle on a dynamometer before and after a K&N product has been installed."

now this is for a cherokee but you can still get the idea:

the other part of it is not running a **** air filter, throw a K&N or Amsoil cone filter on the end and your good, i've never had any experience with AEM so i don't know. A buddy of mine has one and says he likes it so.
I hate those POS ricers just as much as anyone but I'm not gonna run my stock air box just because i don't wanna have the same idea behind my intake as they do.

Hope that helps

and just to add i was in tech school, and for a end of the year project i experimented with cold air intakes, tested their flowing abilities and the affects they had on various vehicles. Fratis, not everyones trying to jerk your chain around, i'm telling you these work.
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #14
jay1990yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If I'm correct your 1990 YJ is a 2.5 TBI? If it is I don't believe they make a cold air intake for it as I'm trying to find something myself. '91 and up is all I find as they are MFI.
jay1990yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #15
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1990yj View Post
If I'm correct your 1990 YJ is a 2.5 TBI? If it is I don't believe they make a cold air intake for it as I'm trying to find something myself. '91 and up is all I find as they are MFI.
you can buy the smooth snorkle tubes at any auto parts store an buy a K&N cone filter for the end, then just route behind the head light, not like in the hole like the stock air box goes, but behind the front grille assembly.
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.