Coil suspension conversion on '90 YJ- should I?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coil suspension conversion on '90 YJ- should I??

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 06-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Coil suspension conversion on '90 YJ- should I??

I have owned my 90 YJ for almost 20 years now and I just love it. I have 32" tires and a 3.5" suspension lift on it. So, here's my predicament. I have been really thinking about buying a newer model Jeep, probably a 4dr Unlimited and the main reason is the ride. I'm 40+ years old and my 90 rig just is too rough and bouncy on regular road driving. BUT, if I could do a coil suspension conversion, I would gladly hang onto it! My questions are, is a coil conversion kit a good way to go? Would it improve my street ride? Has anyone installed one and if so, how do they like it?

rage4order is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

what brand leaves do you have on it now? Some springs are flexier than others, and a good set of flexy springs will ride nicer on the pavement than some of the stiffer ones

I wheel a YJ 'cuz it's relatively cheap and easy to fix, but if you can afford to wheel a newer Unlimited....I say go for it
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Going with a coil or coilover suspension will ride better than a leaf suspension. I am running the Polyperformance 3 link kit in the front with coilovers. Genright also has some really nice "kits".
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
1988jeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Search comments for the coil spring conversion kits, super expensive and people say theyre horrible. I was looking that route for my 1988 but the kits are like $1600 and people have really not recommended them
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if you want to keep you YJ look but move to coils, there is a Hybrid frame available that is set up to use any TJ suspension, stock or aftermarket, under a YJ tub/drivetrain

http://www.throttledownkustoms.com/framesHybrid.html
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 06-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
1988jeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That is cool...
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988jeepyj View Post
That is cool...
But not worth $2500 IMO.
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
1988jeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamc

But not worth $2500 IMO.
Ouch, and it's "starting " at $2500 not including mounts or options. Really gotta love your yj to upgrade this route
Unread 06-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988jeepyj View Post
Ouch, and it's "starting " at $2500 not including mounts or options. Really gotta love your yj to upgrade this route
still, it's cheaper than buying that 4 door Unlimited, and gives the OP a chance to keep the YJ that he has owned 20 years and loves

and as far as the motor mounts go, I would look at it as an opportunity to put that small block in...hmmm, anyone else want a Hemi-powered, coil sprung YJ
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 06-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, to start off, my springs are Black Diamond brand that came with my 3.5" lift kit. I have been tempted to start off on the low end(price-wise) and work from there- maybe replace the shocks, then the leafs. One of the main reasons I like my YJ is 1)it's paid for, 2)parts are relatively cheap and easy to find, and 3)if I damage anything it won't hurt as much as damaging a new Unlimited!
I hadn't really thought(or didn't even KNOW) about swapping out my frame. That's a bit beyond my mechanical abilities and patience. I was hoping I could find a fairly simple suspension solution that could possibly smooth out my ride. Are those Black Diamond leafs considered stiff? I will say, my Jeep did seem to get bouncier after I put on the lift kit...but then again, I was replacing 15 year old leafs with 180K miles on 'em!
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe buy a flopped over tj and put ur body on it
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I honestly think that replacing the springs and shocks with a little higher quality parts is the best way to go. I wouldn't recommend a coil conversion to anyone running the stock front axle or tires under 35". If you want better ride quality and not insane articulation, then call BDS and get a new set of leaf springs comparable in size to what you have. Shocks are a touchy subject but I love my BDS valved Fox shocks. Whether it be highway driving, racing through forest roads or rock crawling, BDS is unparalleled as a multipurpose daily driving/weekend wheeling spring.
Unread 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What brand leafs and shocks would you guys recommend? I imagine some brands are stiffer than others. Is Black Diamond considered a "low-end" brand?
Unread 06-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if I were looking for a softer ride (and I'm not..since my fabtech 3 1/2" springs/shocks ride pretty smoothly to me, and I'm in my 50's), I would have to give some serious consideration to OME 36R's or BDS 2 1/2" springs, some nice soft shocks (perhaps Bilsteins 5150's) and a 1" body lift, rather than taking a chance on another brand of 3 1/2" springs, since ride quality and comfort is a pretty subjective thing.

and remember, you could install a coil spring conversion, and end up with a ride as stiff or stiffer than you have now
Orange Jeep Club #88

Unread 06-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I wonder if part of the problem is I don't know if I need a softer ride or a stiffer ride! My jeep just seems very bouncy. I mean, I drive over the small seams where bridges meet the road and I bounce around a couple of times before it settles back down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
and remember, you could install a coil spring conversion, and end up with a ride as stiff or stiffer than you have now
That is exactly what I'm afraid of.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.