coil spring conversion kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > coil spring conversion kit

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
saa
1994 YJ Wrangler 

coil spring conversion kit

Hi!

I am going to buy PRO COMP 5" COIL SUSPENSION CONVERSION LIFT KIT JEEP YJ WRANGLER 87-95 for my YJ (http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-COMP-5-C...302259?vxp=mtr).

Could you please tell me will it fit my YJ with AMC 242, AW4 and NP 231 SYE with custom drive shafts?

And what problems can i have while installing it?

saa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Avoid it, It is Junk ! I sold a few when I worked for 4wheelparts over the years . None of the customers were happy with them after they were installed. If you want coils get a TJ, Or Look into the Genright or RockKrawler kits
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
saa
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My friends got this kit about two years ago and are quite happy... they won several offroad competitions with it. So what's wrong with it?
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
saa
1994 YJ Wrangler 

and could you please give me the links to the "right" coil suspension conversion kits?
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

From what I understand about the Procomp kit, it is a bolt on kit and that sacrifices some flex since the coil buckets are not perfectly positioned along the frame rails. Ive heard it rides really nice, but you dont gain much flex over yj leaf springs, in fact most people lost flex. I believe warn makes a good coil conversion kit, the largest difference being that it has to be welded to the frame rails and is not just bolt on. This allows for much more precise positioning of coil buckets and control arms to reduce binding. I hear that the ProComp kit has the potential for good flex but due to the design, binds much more than it should.

Here is one of the rock krawler coilover kits:
http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je..._pn=RKSYJ93000
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
jsipe007
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Try this link as well. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-thoughts.html

Looks like the warn conversion I was thinking of is know under the name Black Diamond

To my knowledge, ProComp is the only company that makes a coil conversion. Most kits are coilover kits. If i was going to redo all my suspension, I would only want to do it once and I think coilovers are the way to go.
jsipe007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saa View Post
My friends got this kit about two years ago and are quite happy... they won several offroad competitions with it. So what's wrong with it?
It binds due to poor geometry, coils have poor spring rates, Not very many kits were sold, you loose articulation over a decent leaf spring setup. Overpriced. Coilovers and a 3 link/ 4 link rear is a better option.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The Black Diamond kits were actually very good kits. I have a few freinds that ran them and they preform as good if not better than TJs.
They are weld on. Really not sure if you can still buy them or not.
http://www.superlift.com/suspension/jeep/BD-XCL.asp

The Pro Comp kit that you are asking about is a bolt on kit.
I have only known one person that had it and he ditched it for a SOA.
Part of the problem with it besides lack of articulation was the fact that if you wanted to go to bigger axles it was useless.
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
saa
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well... thanks to you men i gave up from the idea to install this kit so i decided just to take "add a leaf" for 4,5'' kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.