Coil over conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coil over conversion

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Coil over conversion

Should I get a TJ front axle and then do a coil-over conversion on my YJ?

Is there a step by step write up on the conversion? I also heard it is better to do a coil conversion for the front and keep the leaf springs for the rear. If this is true, why?

FYI, I usually off-road on rocks, no mud, and I wanted to make sure that the conversion is the best way to go.

Thanks.

digizure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
crusty1007

it depends on who you talk to.

Some will tell you leafs in the front & link it in the rear.
Some might tell you the other way.

Personally I did a 3 link front with Fox 2.0 C/O's & spring under in the rear.

I used our basic 3 link kit.

Here's one of the used to be local guys 3 link on his YJ with a D60:

Here's progress photo's of YJ we did a while back:
LINK
www.SynergySuspension.com ----> Click and download the new catalog!!!
crusty1007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Jeez, I found a coil over conversion kit for $4399.99. There's no way I will pay that much! Does anyone here know of a cheaper kit? Or am I better off going with SOA? Which is better and why, SOA or coil over conversion?

M
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I firmly believe the best way to get a coil over Jeep is to sell your rig and buy a TJ.
The cost of a conversion is often much more than the YJ is worth.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that's what it looks like now. I think I'd save a lot of money if I just sell my YJ and get a TJ. What a bummer. I really love my YJ.
Unread 10-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digizure View Post
Yeah, that's what it looks like now. I think I'd save a lot of money if I just sell my YJ and get a TJ. What a bummer. I really love my YJ.
I don't get it. Any coilover kit is going to require you to pretty much replace almost everything stock suspension wise. So, buying a TJ is not going to net you any gain over a YJ to do a full blown coilover/linked suspension.

Any good coilover kit or fabbed suspension is going to consist of upgraded shock mount/tower, axle trusses, heavy duty C/A brackets on both the axle and frame side, quality C/A with beefy joints, graded hardware, and oh those blingy shocks.

That doesn't even touch the other stuff you either have to address or think about changing like exhaust modifications, gas tank/fuel cell, bump stop options, steering problems, C/A integrated into skid plates, etc.

If you feel like going that route, but don't have the cash. Just do one end, front or rear, like previously suggested.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

here is some good info for you...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...ersion-565241/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/k...ersion-978002/

if you can fab or have a buddy who can, then you would be in good shape....if you have to pay actual shop fees to do it, you will pay too much.
Unread 10-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian22 View Post
here is some good info for you...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...ersion-565241/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/k...ersion-978002/

if you can fab or have a buddy who can, then you would be in good shape....if you have to pay actual shop fees to do it, you will pay too much.
The OP asked about coilovers, not a coil conversion.

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digizure View Post
Jeez, I found a coil over conversion kit for $4399.99. There's no way I will pay that much! Does anyone here know of a cheaper kit? Or am I better off going with SOA? Which is better and why, SOA or coil over conversion?

M
The first person that responded sells the 3-link kit in the photos for $1150.

Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY*::*Suspension Kits & Parts*::*Universal Suspension Systems*::*Poly Performance Universal 3-Link Weld-On Front Kit - 4X4 Off-Road, JK Synergy Suspension Systems, Fox Racing Shox, Beard, CNC Brakes, Johnny Joints®, C

If I was going to use a D30 for a springover conversion, I would just modify my current axle. Besides the disconnect issue, I don't see what advantage purchasing a TJ axle offers you besides maybe not having to weld on new perches, which you may have to regardless of the axle.

You can use solid front axle shafts out of non-disconnect XJs and TJs in your D30.

What are the rest of the plans for your build?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, lemme clarify...

the reason why I want the coilover conversion is because I'd get better flex and control when off-roading. I also heard that my Jeep would run smoother on-road since my Jeep is also a DD. The other option I have is SOA but I am not sure what are the pro's and con's when I match up SOA and coilover conversion? Anyone?

The "rest of my plan" is to install SYE and CV shaft. That's pretty much it for now... maybe a rear locker in the future... am still debating on which locker I should go with. I prefer something that is selectable.

M
Unread 10-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i know you probably dont want to hear this, but for a daily driver, its best to just get a good spring under lift kit and leave it be. a YJ properly set up with a SUA lift can get through a lot and still be good as a DD.

SYE and CV shaft are a good idea...and for a DD a selectable locker is preferred.
Unread 10-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

doing a coil-over conversion at home is a large involved project. i would never purposely dissuade anyone from doing so, however, i would just analyze your home situation very carefully before embarking on this project. mid thirties can be when life gets real serious for a lot of us. i for one have put off a number of jeep projects and career advancement simply so i dont miss the kids growing up. ill have plenty of time to tinker when the kids are older and think they know it all anyways.

polyperformance is the place to start the hardware research. stick with the yj if you want a full blown coil-over. much simpler to work with.

if coils are good enough, there was a guy on here who did an absolutely excellent yj to tj suspension conversion.

-gotta get the kids off to school now.....
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
digizure
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate y'all's honesty. I have no kids... yet.

Or maybe it is cheaper to go with coil spring conversion and replace the shocks whenever necessary?

M
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
Bravo1782
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, just going to weigh in on a couple of thoughts, for what it's worth...

1. Don't underestimate the power of leaf springs. They're tough and can flex pretty well. Are they going to outflex someone with a long arm suspension kit? Of course not. But it depends on what you're doing. Are you a weekend warrior that like to wheel his jeep from time to time, but mostly rocks it as a DD (which it sounds like you are)? I wouldn't mess with this whole mess than...I'd get a nice life kit, do it right (with a SYE and a nice driveshaft) and put money elsewhere.

2. SYE...dude...get one. You'll be glad you did in the long run

3. If you're rocking a d35 (like me ) I would be FAR more worried about replacing that than I would be about doing a major system-wide suspension overhaul. I'd do an 8.8\d44 swap in the rear, re-gear, selectable locker (I'm going Ox, do whatever makes you feel good) and toughen up that front d30 (even if you're just going to swap in the solid passanger side axle shaft. If you want to get real serious, you can put chomo axle shafts and a locker in the d30, it's really up to you.

Just some thoughts, good luck!
Bravo1782 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo1782 View Post
Hey, just going to weigh in on a couple of thoughts, for what it's worth...

1. Don't underestimate the power of leaf springs. They're tough and can flex pretty well. Are they going to outflex someone with a long arm suspension kit? Of course not. But it depends on what you're doing. Are you a weekend warrior that like to wheel his jeep from time to time, but mostly rocks it as a DD (which it sounds like you are)? I wouldn't mess with this whole mess than...I'd get a nice life kit, do it right (with a SYE and a nice driveshaft) and put money elsewhere.

2. SYE...dude...get one. You'll be glad you did in the long run

3. If you're rocking a d35 (like me ) I would be FAR more worried about replacing that than I would be about doing a major system-wide suspension overhaul. I'd do an 8.8\d44 swap in the rear, re-gear, selectable locker (I'm going Ox, do whatever makes you feel good) and toughen up that front d30 (even if you're just going to swap in the solid passanger side axle shaft. If you want to get real serious, you can put chomo axle shafts and a locker in the d30, it's really up to you.

Just some thoughts, good luck!
Not to damper your input, but the OP lives here in San Diego (as of ~3 years ago) and has done an SOA conversion, rear axle swap, SYE, gears, hysteer, lockers, shock relocations, blah blah blah.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.