Code 24 and 25- 1995 not starting - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Code 24 and 25- 1995 not starting

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #16
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prspallone View Post
Would you really say the engine bay wiring? My gut is telling me it has something to do with that spaghetti under my dash. Can I ask what makes you think it would be in the engine bay? Also is there anything else from a diagnostic perspective I could tell you to give you a better idea? I am still running with a push button attached to my starter to bypass the ignition switch.
Ok well explain exactly what it does when the problem occurs anything from rough idle to cutting out stalling miss firing anything you can think of the last 95 i touched would not crank had cel poped the hood started looking around and the tps wiring harness had a wire pulled loose and the mass airflow harness was slightly loose so i tightened the mass air flow harness and then reconnected the tps wire to the harness and it crunk right up even with the old *** acid gas it had in it so made $20 for three mins under the hood

Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
Prspallone
1982 CJ7 

The car won't start when turning the key. Lights, heat, etc. turn on but it won't crank. With the push button attached to the starter, that I ran through the drain hole, it starts up every time, a bit slow but no worry. Once it's running I have no problems at all.
Prspallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
The car won't start when turning the key. Lights, heat, etc. turn on but it won't crank. With the push button attached to the starter, that I ran through the drain hole, it starts up every time, a bit slow but no worry. Once it's running I have no problems at all.
Does the motor rotate with out firing or does it do any thing at all when you turn the key over
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #19
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Would you really say the engine bay wiring? My gut is telling me it has something to do with that spaghetti under my dash. Can I ask what makes you think it would be in the engine bay? Also is there anything else from a diagnostic perspective I could tell you to give you a better idea? I am still running with a push button attached to my starter to bypass the ignition switch.
Your spaghetti under the dash will usually cause issues with lighting, stereo, creature comforts, etc... It can cause issues with ignition, but typically with starting and starter engagement. If this rig is otherwise unmolested, (meaning it was running before and not suffering these symptoms after a Frankenstein driveline swap) I would first suspect an engine management issue to be related to anywhere under the hood. Given your symptoms and circumstance, I first would look at all of the sensors and wiring to/from the ecm. Wiring shorts present differently on each occurrence depending if the short is intermittent or solid and under the driving conditions when the short circuit first occurred. This is not even saying that you have a short circuit. You could very well have an open between important sensors. I have to stress and repeat that most of your engines critical sensors are tied together with respect to power and at sometimes have a daisy chained ground path. If there is a wiring issue between any of these, then your symptoms will present as they are or differently depending on the conditions. This is why I believe we need to t/s this issue logically and verify the wiring between these sensors. If nothing else, the info gained will help to point to the actual problem rather than the symptom. There are too many variables with these old Jeeps to try and diagnose issues definitively over the internet. I am just trying to help you with the most "likely" cause given my 14yrs of ownership/experience.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #20
Prspallone
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
Your spaghetti under the dash will usually cause issues with lighting, stereo, creature comforts, etc... It can cause issues with ignition, but typically with starting and starter engagement. If this rig is otherwise unmolested, (meaning it was running before and not suffering these symptoms after a Frankenstein driveline swap) I would first suspect an engine management issue to be related to anywhere under the hood. Given your symptoms and circumstance, I first would look at all of the sensors and wiring to/from the ecm. Wiring shorts present differently on each occurrence depending if the short is intermittent or solid and under the driving conditions when the short circuit first occurred. This is not even saying that you have a short circuit. You could very well have an open between important sensors. I have to stress and repeat that most of your engines critical sensors are tied together with respect to power and at sometimes have a daisy chained ground path. If there is a wiring issue between any of these, then your symptoms will present as they are or differently depending on the conditions. This is why I believe we need to t/s this issue logically and verify the wiring between these sensors. If nothing else, the info gained will help to point to the actual problem rather than the symptom. There are too many variables with these old Jeeps to try and diagnose issues definitively over the internet. I am just trying to help you with the most "likely" cause given my 14yrs of ownership/experience.
I get what you mean and really thank you for your help. I guess I'll have to borrow a friends meter and just start testing for current. Do you know where I can get a list of things to check?
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #21
Prspallone
1982 CJ7 

I mean I guess I should be checking most everything, but I'm not sure what the current should be at amp wise.
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I mean I guess I should be checking most everything, but I'm not sure what the current should be at amp wise.
Preliminarily we would be testing for continuity and voltage. Current is far removed and down the road if we need to go there.
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #23
Speedymcracer01

Quote:

I get what you mean and really thank you for your help. I guess I'll have to borrow a friends meter and just start testing for current. Do you know where I can get a list of things to check?
Go to the parts store get you the repair manual then you have any thing you might need to know ive spent hours in mine specially the wiring diagrams if you can read the diagrams then you will know the wiring like the back of your hand before to long when i buy a vehicle first thing i do it get the repair manual then i read it like the bible trust me its worth the time and the $25 you spend on it
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #24
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Once you have the meter in hand and understand how to check for continuity and voltage, report back. If I am unavailable, someone here will be able to give you tips on what to test as far as the wiring and the sensors involved. There are many forum members capable of helping you with this. I am currently working nights and will not be able to help further for the next three plus days.
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #25
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If he isn't available pm me. It's a busy time for everyone this time of year but we can help you get out figured out.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #26
Prspallone
1982 CJ7 

Thanks Guys! Will do!
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #27
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Battery is new. I put in a new starter but still nothing. Temporarily I have a sort of push start button connected to the starter to bypass the ignition, but without that the key won't crank it. Also I have noticed my turn signal fuses keep blowing... Short?
This push button you've installed--did you run a hot lead to the button and then the other wire directly to the solenoid?

Maybe try swapping your starter relay with another relay in the fuse box to see if the relay is good. I'm not sure about the engine codes--I don't think either of those would give a 'no start' condition. If the relay is good, there could be something wrong with the ignition switch in the starter position.

Regardless, if you haven't touched anything in the rat's nest under the dash since it began acting up, I wouldn't start in on it now. You'll just give yourself a headache playing with more wire, rather than narrowing down your issue under the hood.
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #28
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix85182 View Post

This push button you've installed--did you run a hot lead to the button and then the other wire directly to the solenoid?

Maybe try swapping your starter relay with another relay in the fuse box to see if the relay is good. I'm not sure about the engine codes--I don't think either of those would give a 'no start' condition. If the relay is good, there could be something wrong with the ignition switch in the starter position.

Regardless, if you haven't touched anything in the rat's nest under the dash since it began acting up, I wouldn't start in on it now. You'll just give yourself a headache playing with more wire, rather than narrowing down your issue under the hood.
Pop your hood and inspect the pdc real good i mean take it out take it apart and inspect all wire connections on the bottom,check every fuse then also check the battery connection to the pdc i would trace the tps mass airflow and map sensors from the throttle body to the pcm its not easy but its not to hard to trace them ive done it before the hardest part was getting threw the tape and wire protectors its got to be in this general area did you check the cps wires and harness when you tried replacing it i know its difficult to see and reach in thier i found it alil easer to just come threw the top behind the motor to get to the wires doesnt work when installing it i plugged it up tucked it behind the motor then come from underneath to put it in and bolt it down,while im thinking about it did you remove that little piece that looks kinda like a mini slidder you move furniture with before you installed the new cps
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #29
Prspallone
1982 CJ7 

Okay so tomorrow I was supposed to borrow the meter. I drove the car today as normal, nothing unusual. Now here is the strange part, I got it my car about to go home, turned the key and BAM! It fired up faster then it has ever started in the time I have owned it. No button, all on its own will from the key. Anyone able to explain what the heck just happened? Could this have all had to do anything with the terrible rain we had around the time my problem started? This was odd and shocking to me figuring how long it went without working...
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #30
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So now you don't have the issue.....welcome to yj land. If you think reason had anything to do with it you might want to water proof the electrical connectors with dielectric grease and go through everything.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.