Co2 vs Scuba tank performance? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Co2 vs Scuba tank performance?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 03-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Co2 vs Scuba tank performance?

being an avid boater, i have an abundance of scuba tanks..

these tanks are designed for 3600 psi capabilities, and over an hour of breathing..

i have a 40cf, and an 80..

now...

i was looking at the air manifold, i can just screw in a quick connect and run an air hose for tools and to air up if need be,

anyone have any experiance with this? or direct me to some info?

i googled but it came back with totally irrelevant links... what does the goodyear blimp have to do with running a scuba tank for OBA.. ask google

anyway...

let me know fellas

Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
HotSauceJunky
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a CO2 tank and I know it pressurized till the contents are liquid. I don't think scuba tanks hold that much pressure. Here is a link that might have some info:

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=263809
HotSauceJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A scuba tank works just fine for running air tools. You would just need to get the proper adapter for the tools. I would suggest finding an older 1st stage regulator to use. You will be running the tools off the low pressure side of the regulator. This pressure will be plenty to run the tools with.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSauceJunky View Post
I have a CO2 tank and I know it pressurized till the contents are liquid. I don't think scuba tanks hold that much pressure. Here is a link that might have some info:
CO2, in a tank, never even comes close to 3600PSI. Also, a CO2 tank is filled with liquid CO2 and will have no pressure once there is no more liquid left.
Unread 03-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

hmmmm...

that link gave me keywords for more googling..

so ive found out that Co2 compresses to a gas at about 850psi and stored as a liquid... so as the air pressure is depleted, its starts bubbling off liquid to make up to the 850 psi stabilizing point, until air pressure depletes again.. so the 850 psi is the liquids flash point..

wow..

thats amazing.. modern chemistry!!

so thats why the keg tanks in bars lasts for weeks!!!!

apparently, even though the scuba has more pressure, it depletes rather quickly cause youre using its only asset... air.. no liquid is present.., so, air gun, dismount tire, remount, re-inflate all 4 for street use.. = 1/4 pressure left, about 700 psi

but the Co2.. thats another story.. can do the above several times...

anyone have real world info on C02 systems?

im itch'n for OBA, just dont want to remove my A/C or install an electric, i dunk my YJ too often and fear ill fry the electric dunking it..
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
EK91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

not to hijack, but are the co2 tanks you are talking about, are they like the ones used for paint ball guns? i would like to be able to fill 4 tires if needed.
Square Headlights Member #147
Red Jeep Club #482
12 inch jl 3w3 sub in the back amped with Rockford Fosgate R500-1! Rockford Fosgate R300-4 amp powers 2 infinity 5022i in the centra pod and 2 pioneer 6x9s!
EK91YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK91YJ View Post
not to hijack, but are the co2 tanks you are talking about, are they like the ones used for paint ball guns? i would like to be able to fill 4 tires if needed.
Nope, bigger.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/recovery/co2/co2-1.htm

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not if it matters, but I used a nitrogen tank for a while. I was only able to fill about 9 tires per tank of nitrogen. Nitrogen is filled basically the same way as the scuba tank, by pressure. Like has been said, CO2 is liquid filled. I have aired up around 30 tires per tank of CO2. (man i wish someone else had OBA.........ha)
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Not if it matters, but I used a nitrogen tank for a while. I was only able to fill about 9 tires per tank of nitrogen. Nitrogen is filled basically the same way as the scuba tank, by pressure. Like has been said, CO2 is liquid filled. I have aired up around 30 tires per tank of CO2. (man i wish someone else had OBA.........ha)
lol.. thanks for your input.. but yah, im looking into feasability for an engine driven compressor and if that doesnt pan out, CO2 then..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.