Cmanjr's Slow 87 YJ Build - JeepForum.com
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 215 Old 04-06-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Cmanjr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A little traveling back in time to the beginning of December 2015, I first got my jeep.

It looked pretty clean, and had relatively little rust. the paint wasn't in terrible condition, but I'm not gonna say it's in great condition either, because it's not.
Name:  image-4162551896.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  607.3 KB

The Jeep has all the wiring harnesses and drivetrain out of a 93 wrangler, that was swapped in by one of the PO's. it has the 4.0 HO, AX15, np231, and d30/35 axles.

Jump to the end of December and I got a new shift knob along with some new grab handles for Christmas, and got those put on. exciting, I know haha.

Early January comes around, and we get a big snowstorm that drops 30 inches of snow on top of everything. So me being me, once the driveway is cleared out up to the big bank of snow pushed up by the plow trucks clearing the road out front, so I drove the jeep through it.

it made it through just fine, but it got a bad misfire in the process which turned out to be a broken valve spring. I also figured out that while the transfer case was in 4x4 and the front driveshaft was spinning, the front axle was still disengaged. so I still have that to diagnose. I'll probably just permanently lock it to be engaged so I won't have to worry about it.

while it was down from January to now (April), I've completely redone the wiring for the audio system. I completely rewire the plug for the radio, with direct battery ground and 12v source. I then redid all the speaker wiring, including going to the sound bar. I tucked everything away neatly too. it was a huge relief to eliminate the rats nest of wiring under the dash that was terribly done for the radio. which mind you didn't even work due to poor or broken connections.

now it's got good quality wiring that was cut to correct lengths to avoid too much access wire to be slack, and all the wiring connections are soldered and shrink wrapped to ensure a good quality connection and good continuity.

Then come some time in March, I finally got down and tore the jeeps top end of the motor down. I pulled it all apart, labeling and organizing what needed to be. drained the coolant, which had a nasty looking oily film on top. cool. so it definitely needed a head gasket too. it was burning a little bit of coolant too, so it was needed regardless.

I get the engine torn down to just the block, head, and valve cover. pull the cover, which looked pretty clean inside, then pulled the rockers and pushrods to find that the valve spring for cylinder 4's intake valve had broken. I also had noticed that a couple valve stem seals were leaking as well.

So jump to here in the past few weeks, as well as today, I got the head pulled off, cleaned up some (with steel wool & mineral spirits) then disassembled the the head completely. I organized all the valves in marked ziploc bags with their own valve spring retainers and keepers.

with yesterday being when I finally had the head disassembled completely, it allowed me to bring my head and drop it off at the machine shop to get cleaned, magna fluxed, and resurfaced today. I brought it by and dropped it off sometime after noon or 1 and it was ready to pick back up by 4.

I feel like I've done a lot of talking but little progress, but I assure you, it'll probably be like that a lot lmao. but there will be progress hopefully somewhat often, or as things come up or happen.
Name:  image-483277124.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  535.1 KB

So come along for the slow ride, why don't you. that's all jeeps were designed to do anyways, right? I mean why else would our windshields be flat?

Red 87 YJ - 4.0L - AX15 - NP231 - D30/35
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 215 Old 04-06-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Cmanjr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

And here's some more pictures of it.

Name:  image-876135609.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  423.4 KB
Name:  image-51099309.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  420.8 KB
Attached Images

post #3 of 215 Old 04-06-2016, 11:35 PM
ZR90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ha! Finally I see your build thread. Subscribed.

It looks nice man! Can't wait to see the what she becomes!

post #4 of 215 Old 04-07-2016, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Cmanjr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR90YJ
Ha! Finally I see your build thread. Subscribed. It looks nice man! Can't wait to see the what she becomes!
haha thanks man! appreciate it!

I'll update it with the rest of the pictures I have of it on my phone when I get the chance, I have all my pictures from redoing the radio wiring and from diagnosing the misfire that I want to post.

post #5 of 215 Old 04-07-2016, 06:15 AM
14Sport
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sub'd...looking forward to your progress.

It looks like you're missing some soft top parts like the front door surround. And not sure what that bracket is between the windshield and the roll bar. My '95 is different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.
post #6 of 215 Old 04-07-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Cmanjr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport
Sub'd...looking forward to your progress. It looks like you're missing some soft top parts like the front door surround. And not sure what that bracket is between the windshield and the roll bar. My '95 is different.
thanks! and yeah, I need to get some. just haven't gotten around to it.

my soft top is a Bestop Supertop, so the bracket in between the windshield and the roll bar is for the door surround. that isn't really an issue though.

what is an issue though, is the gap between the roll bar and the windshield. I'm assuming that one time when someone went to either remove or reinstall the bolts to connect the two, they stripped the threads out. so, their "fix" for it was to cut them out and weld in two box nuts, that aren't even close to being in the right spot. they aren't even flush with the windshield frame, they stick out a bit. this causes there to be the gap that you can see in the picture, yes the bolt (there's only one bolt on that side) is tightened all the way.

I would've rather them be smart and cut an access hole, so they could weld tabs to a nut, and then weld the tabs on the inside of the windshield frame so the threads would be countersunk like they were originally and let the roll bar sit flush to the windshield frame.

I'm not sure how I should approach taking care of that, I'm kind of wanting to just replace the whole windshield frame, whether be used or new.

post #7 of 215 Old 04-07-2016, 12:29 PM
14Sport
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The supertop on my '95 doesn't mount there. It connects to the front door surround piece that you're missing. Maybe it's different in the earlier years.
Attached Thumbnails
FrntDoorSurround 01.jpg   FrntDoorSurround 02.jpg  

post #8 of 215 Old 04-07-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Cmanjr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The supertop on my '95 doesn't mount there. It connects to the front door surround piece that you're missing. Maybe it's different in the earlier years.
hmm yeah I'm not sure then. it's got a thick piece of rod that's bent to the shape of the door outline.

this is the piece here:
Name:  image-4245760068.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  132.5 KB

I'm thinking that whoever installed the soft top onto my jeep, thought you were supposed to remove the uprights and use that instead. either that or the uprights were in bad shape so they ditched them for those. that's all I could think of.

post #9 of 215 Old 04-07-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Cmanjr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

do you happen to have any other pictures of yours and how the door surround for the soft top connects to the windshield upright? I'm unsure how the two connect to each other.

post #10 of 215 Old 04-07-2016, 02:10 PM
14Sport
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I guess they are different. I don't have soft doors either. I have half doors with soft uppers if that makes a difference. The pics above were my attempt at showing the drip rail to the pillar flange connection. The drip rail slides over a pin on the pillar flange and then has a slide lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Supertop pillar Flange.jpg  

post #11 of 215 Old 04-07-2016, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Cmanjr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah I guess they are different. I don't have soft doors either. I have half doors with soft uppers if that makes a difference. The pics above were my attempt at showing the drip rail to the pillar flange connection. The drip rail slides over a pin on the pillar flange and then has a slide lock.
ah okay, I see you have the NX top. yeah I just have the regular Supertop. my soft uppers are sliders with the same shape as the full hard doors have, which you probably could see from my pics though

post #12 of 215 Old 04-11-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Cmanjr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

what do y'all do for your rear track bar? my jeep still has the factory one installed, and I can see that my rear axle is shifted to one side more than the other just by comparing how much tire sticks out from the fender flares.

I'm pretty sure I need to have it in order to pass safety inspection or whatnot, living in Northern Virginia, but I'm not sure.

post #13 of 215 Old 04-11-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Cmanjr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

also as an update, I got in my new thermostat housing and gasket, as well as my valve stem seals and new temp sender on Saturday.

I put oil on the stems that the valve seals go onto and got those installed last night, and also cleaned up my pushrods to get some gunk off of them.

today I'm expecting my new valve springs to be delivered by the big brown truck.

post #14 of 215 Old 04-11-2016, 10:59 AM
ZR90YJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Don't need track bar in the rear...It does absolutely nothing for our suspension systems besides add weight. You will also have a more comfortable ride. (if a comfortable yj is possible)
post #15 of 215 Old 04-11-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Cmanjr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR90YJ
Don't need track bar in the rear...It does absolutely nothing for our suspension systems besides add weight. You will also have a more comfortable ride. (if a comfortable yj is possible)
honestly my YJ rides better than my 97 F150 besides the Jeeps bounciness over bumps lol. but that's mainly due to the tow package springs in the back of the truck.

but since I would have part of the factory suspension safety equipment removed wouldn't that cause issues with inspections? I've read about it being a lot better of a ride without the rear track bar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.