cluth noise....help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cluth noise....help

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
liljhon
1989 YJ Wrangler 

cluth noise....help

I have an 89 with a 4.2 and I am not sure but I think it has the ax 15 tranny. Problem is that sometimes when I hit a bump, it sounds like there is a small metallic object jumping around and either hitting the clutch or somewhere in the tranny. it sounds like a really high pitch noise that is hitting something that is spinning. I need to drive this thing 275 mile home tomorrow with my wife and two dogs.......I removed the starter and bent the tranny cover enough to get a light in there and see if there was anything floating around, but there was nothing. It is a really unusual noise and I am stumped... My first thought was that a tine from the pressure plate may have broken off and bounces into the rotating assembly sometimes...but I don't know.....any help, or anyone else had this....btw, noise goes away upon depressing clutch, and I am not sure if it does it in gear with out pressing gas..I cant hear it. It also does it in every gear ...also sounds really bad when I rev over 2000 in gear.

liljhon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.