Clutch Won't Engage - No Pedal To Speak Of - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch Won't Engage - No Pedal To Speak Of

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 01-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
tlarwa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch Won't Engage - No Pedal To Speak Of

Here's the particulars ... '91 YJ, 4.0L. Here's the problem: I have very little (if any) pedal engagement, and cannot shift into gear without "pumping" the clutch pedal a bunch of times (and then it will barely go into gear). Once the clutch engages (or disengages, I guess) I can shift through all the gears. I bled the system, and the clutch cylinder is full. My question is, what needs to be replaced? My guess is that it is a bad clutch master cylinder, but I don't want to start blindly replacing parts. I'm a Miata guy (this is my son's Jeep) and I know about slave cylinder issues on the Miata, having replaced it. Does that go bad as well? Any other ideas? I'm fairly confident it's not the transmission, as it shifts prefectly fine once I can get it to engage. It seems to defintiely be a case of the pedal not being able to engage the clutch to allow me to shift into gear.

I'd appreciate any and all help/advice!

Tom

tlarwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the clutch master cylinder. Mine had the same issue. I've been through 3 and I finally got a good one. The only other thing it could be is the hydraulic throwout bearing and that involves pulling the tranny.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
dirtydan69
1994 YJ Wrangler 

definitely the clutch master cylinder, this exact thing happened to me. check for leaks on the firewall on both the inside under the dash and in the engine compartment. its either replacing the part or paying someone else to.
dirtydan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
tlarwa
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys ... just ordered a new one from Rock Auto. Looks to be an easy enough job. Thanks!
tlarwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

looks can be VERY deceiving

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
jeepkween
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a good write-up if you need it. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...cement-728960/

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.