Clutch will not engage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch will not engage

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 11-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
lonestar_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch will not engage

I just recently bought a 93 jeep wrangler with a blown motor 4.0 and a 95 jeep chreokee with a bad transmisson for $1500. I picked up a running 4.0 out of a 95 jeep cherokee for $150. Bought a new clutch kit and installed, went to bolt the transmission to the motor and found out the shaft on the trasmisson would bottom out inside the crank with a 1/4 inch left between the motor and trans. We ended up cutting a 1/4 off the trans. shaft and bolted it up and dropped in. We bleed the clutch, but it will not go into gear. When you step on the pedal it is like you are pushing the brake, hard. Does anyone have any ideas
Thanks

lonestar_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

If the pedal is that hard, I would say the pressure plate is not allowing the slave cylinder to depress the fingers on the pressure plate. Something is misaligned, or binding up.

As to what it could be, I have no idea. But I'll bet that by the time you figure it out & fix it, you'll be able to whip a tranny in & out faster than most folks. It looks like you have some more intimate time with the underside of your Jeep this weekend....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
lonestar_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

as of last night i have put the transmission back in it for the 3rd time in 2weeks. the first time after we bleed the clutch, it blew a o-ring out of the throw-out bearing, pulled it back off and replaced, blew the o-ring out. Warrantee replaced the bearing put it back in.
Unread 11-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
lonestar_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i also have a set of 35X12.5 tsl thornbird super swampers, and a 1995 jeep cherokee 4.0 I6 4X4, needs a transmission for sale.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.