Clutch or Tranny?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch or Tranny??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-06-2002, 04:00 PM   #1
Nine5YJ

Clutch or Tranny??

Hey
Driving on the highway i do 75 and my RPMs are usually at 2800-2900. Lately, they have been up by 3100 to keep the same speed. Could my higher Rpms mean my clutch is starting to slip, or could my tranny be needing a flush? Any ideas? thanks!

Unread 02-06-2002, 04:19 PM   #2
West

Transmission flushing is for automatics transmissions. With a manual your gears will not slip "a little", they are either engaged, disengaged, or making noise thats lets you know you definately have a problem
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2002, 07:29 PM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is it periodically, like under heavy load, winding up the RPMs? Or does it just always stay at 3100? This is a manual right?
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2002, 03:53 PM   #4
NOVA Jeeper56

Hey,
You might want to invest in a new clutch, you are slipping
NOVA Jeeper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2002, 11:51 AM   #5
Nine5YJ

Hey

I took it to my mechanic and ended up getting a new mufler, tailpipe, radiator, thermostat and a full tune. when i first bought it, i had to replace the cat. the stone broke apart, and it was clogging up my muffler. there was a bunch of crud all caked inside, and basically no air was getting through so the pressure was building up when i'd accelerate. clutch and tranny are fine. i was most surprised at my radiator. its only 6 years old with 38K on it. Anyone else had to replace a radiator this soon?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.