clutch/slave replacement. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > clutch/slave replacement.

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 09-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #16
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgers3 View Post
Allright so im going tp pick up a trans jack, external torx set, and a friend to help me out.
Two guys can't lift a 70lb trans? Skip the jack. I usually pull the interior shifter floor panel when I pull a trans, and it's easy for one guy to pull up on a strap under the trans, while the lower guy aims and shoots.

Unread 09-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Get the jack - I have the same one and its paid for itself many times over
Much safer than wrestling with it

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Two guys can't lift a 70lb trans? Skip the jack. I usually pull the interior shifter floor panel when I pull a trans, and it's easy for one guy to pull up on a strap under the trans, while the lower guy aims and shoots.
maybe if i was a little bigger!
im a little guy!.. im only about 120 but i might try and wrestle it out first and if i have issues ill let my slightly larger friend do the heavy lifting, or let him do it in the first place The parts are ordered and inbound so im ready for them to get here. now to get all the tools to my grandpas house and somehow get the jeep off his street and in his garage? will it hurt anything to start it in gear(1st) and take it right into the garage??
rodgers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #19
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
will it hurt anything to start it in gear(1st) and take it right into the garage??
Nope, I've done it that way a few times. Long as you have some way of shutting it off and hitting the brakes.
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #20
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1991YJ View Post
Nope, I've done it that way a few times. Long as you have some way of shutting it off and hitting the brakes.
well i know it will start up and shutdown and my breaks work good!
cant wait till sunday
Unread 09-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #21
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ill pick up a set of bolts tomorrow. i found a buddy to borrow a jack from so no $ spent on that lol i need a few nutserts though... i might just try and weld a nut in its place and use that...idk. ill have 2 on each side holding it till i get new ones....
one is completely gone other needs to be drilled out..
i got the drive shafts out of the way skid plate off shifters off trans tunnel open. all wires disconnected.
i got most the little stuff done today soo yay lol anything els that might help me in removing the trans?? the master that i currently have is less than a month old...should i try and have autozone warranty it out?? it was better than the leaking stock one that was in there lol. and felt stiffer than my OE till the slave quit...
Unread 09-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #22
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just yanked the trans out of my 04 Rubicon today, no tranny jack so I just pulled it back and "benched" it down to my chest. Not heavy at all. I will use a floor jack though that I welded a cradle for when I put it back in. It's just hard to get it all lined up and stab it in when you're doing a prolonged isometric press...Good luck on the rest of the job.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #23
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Am I missing something or what? I have it on a trans jack the engine supported all the bolts out. And it wont come off. Its not hitting the trans tunnel nothing is in the way of it moveing but it wont budge. The little guide pinns are out but cant get it to move now.. :/
Btw to my surprise the top 2 bell housing bolts were already converted to hex
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Shifter linkages out? Trans and T-case? drive shafts out? speedo cable, 4x4 vaccum lines and vent tubes loose, Starter out? Oh a very important one. Are you supporting the engine? If your not theres a chance it could be dipping towards the back and bidning on the pilot bearing.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for not updateing sooner,
I got everything that could be in the way out of the way before I started. I even moved the exhoust just in case lol.
Anyway right after I posted that last post I tryed one more time and got it out. It seems a clutch has been done before.
It had a worn down sachs clutch disc. So im glad I planned on reolaceing it.
Now im waiting for brown to bring my parts to put it all back together.
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #26
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wont be able to work till tommow night :/
Anyway is there any specal steps to instaling my new piolet bearing? And slave? I read the instructons about the slave but there wasnt anything said about the poilet bearing.
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #27
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Anyway is there any specal steps to instaling my new piolet bearing? And slave? I read the instructons about the slave but there wasnt anything said about the poilet bearing.
Try this, you gotta remove the pilot bearing first. Or pilot bushing, depending on which one you find you have after tear-down.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...-101-a-513039/

Then for the install: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...lation-513450/

I always lube the pilot OD and the hole it goes into, then tap it into a good square start position carefully, then put a socket over it and tap it in with the socket as a driver and a smallish ball-pean hammer. Start it square, numbers out. Read the links carefully and good luck. All of this stuff works, at least for me, I just did yet another clutch job this past weekend.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #28
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a new flywheel so install should be easy since its a cleen and new surface lol. Resurfacing was almost as much as new so I figure all new componets down there gives me pice of mind not to worri about it.
Thanks bud! You have helpd me out alot with this so far, I may have more questions tommow night when I actuly get time to start installing all my new stuff.
Its bugging me that its all waiting for me but I dont have time yet.. im ready for the weeknd !
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #29
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh duh. I just noticed you have a 4 cylinder--on the 4 cylinder, the pilot bearing is in the flywheel itself. Real easy to get to and can do it on the bench instead of laying under the Jeep. The 6 cylinder/4.0 has its pilot bearing in the back of the crank.
FSM recommends using new flywheel bolts. To be honest, I have actually never done this, but I do put threadlocker blue on them, also on the pressure plate to flywheel bolts, but the rest of the stuff I antiseize. Sorry to see you're dealing with an internal slave, those are a PITA and not recognized to be real reliable.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #30
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well if what the po said is true it went 165xxx without an issue! Lol
Eventualy I want an ax15 but thats aways down the road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.