JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   clutch/slave replacement. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/clutch-slave-replacement-1569094/)

rodgers3 08-30-2013 10:17 AM

clutch/slave replacement.

Well my slave finaly bit the dust. It lasted longer than I could hope for lol.
Anyway i figure I should replace the clutch while everthing is out. Right?
So my question is. What clutch should I put in? From what iv found diggin arround the form and the interwebs. A performace clutch is a bad idea.
A standard oe replacment from my autoparts store of choice would be best.
Napa, autozone, advanced auto.
Im probly going to buy it from napa just because Iv had better luck with them.
Anyone know any better places to buy from? Or tips? Guys at work told me it calls for 4 and half hours of labor.

Leans93 08-30-2013 04:22 PM

LUK is the clutch brand of choice. You can get it at most local auto parts stores. You should think about swapping to an external slave while you're at it.

Opihi59 08-30-2013 11:31 PM

Yes to Luk repset. If you choose to take the opportunity to convert your Jeep to an external slave, you will need a long snout version front input bearing retainer such as found on 94 and newer AX5, bellhousing 94 and newer, and the external slave/hose/master cylinder. You will need to get the clutch fork 94 and newer and it is the same part for AX15/AX5. Your replacement clutch kit will come with the throwout bearing you need in place of the concentric bearing found on the hideous internal slave abomination.
Good luck.

rodgers3 08-31-2013 02:27 PM

Ok. I dont have the skills or tools to remove it my self or I would convert it to external. .
Labor is what jacks the price up so much... :/

jimbos76cj 08-31-2013 02:41 PM

Too bad your not close to me.. I only charge $250 to R&R the trans and install the new clutch and slave. Truly it's not that hard of a job. If you got a few basic hand tools, jack and jack stands and a little patience it's not hard. To replace the slave you don't even need to remove the trans from under the jeep just slide it back and swap the parts.

While the shop is replacing the clutch have them surface the flywheel.

JrTjK 08-31-2013 07:48 PM

I use & recommend Sachs brand clutches...very good oe quality.

rodgers3 09-03-2013 09:55 PM

ok guys change of plans...i think. :confused: anyway.. i have been kicking around the idea of tackling this myself. things i will need to buy? trans jack. any special tools?? i have a good mechanics set from craftsman. i need some reverse torx?? size?
i think ill buy the tools and not spend 400 in labor alone...and get the pleasure of doing it my self. anyway. i know i need to replace at least two of the nutserts? on the skid. anyone have the link to those that would be greatly appreciated. \
Im going with a LuK clutch kit.
it doesn't sound extremely hard just a little time consuming getting it out and back in.
i might replace the flywheel but ill try and get it surfaced first.
:thankyou:

it always feels like im fighting something with this jeep..:ballchain: nothing will make me get rid of it though. thanks guys for your input and help!

rodgers3 09-03-2013 09:57 PM

ok guys change of plans...i think. :confused: anyway.. i have been kicking around the idea of tackling this myself. things i will need to buy? trans jack. any special tools?? i have a good mechanics set from craftsman. i need some reverse torx?? size?
i think ill buy the tools and not spend 400 in labor alone...and get the pleasure of doing it my self. anyway. i know i need to replace at least two of the nutserts? on the skid. anyone have the link to those that would be greatly appreciated. \
it doesn't sound extremely hard just a little time consuming getting it out and back in.

it always feels like im fighting something with this jeep..:ballchain: nothing will make me get rid of it though. thanks guys for your input and help!

Opihi59 09-03-2013 10:12 PM

You will need E12 Torx to get to the two top fasteners on the bellhousing. They are very high up on the block, just below the bottom of the cylinder head. At sometime in the past I posted up a sequence of things to do for this job, I do not know I can find it but if I do, will post it back in here.

Edit. Read post 73 and post 92 in this thread, even if you don't read anything else in the thread it will be helpful. If you have the time, read thru the entire thread, it has a lot of generally useful information that will come in handy and give you a good concept of things to consider. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ax15-time-1420119/

rambo3489 09-04-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodgers3 (Post 15869409)

YES! Do it YOURSELF!!! You will be so much more thankful after the fact. Weekend project at worst. You can find all of the parts and info you need online. Cant help with the nutserts except that they are a PITA.

You don't NEED a tranny jack. If your young and in decent shape you can get it out by yourself. I can take out and throw back in my tranny in under an hour, no jack no help. Shows how many times I've done it. (I would recommend removing the transfer case if you do) Or have a buddy help and you might not need to remove the transfer case. (Just remember its harder to get back in than take out) My friend and I did it with the tcase still attached. The jack would make things easier. But costs $$$ I would recommend removing it. Its not as complicated as you think. (6 nuts) And it makes it A LOT easier.

Yes to the LUK clutch kit. They are great and CHEAP. the slave is a piece of cake. Slides right on.

Get the flywheel resurfaced. Pretty cheap and effective. And you don't want to ruin that nice new clutch. Those bolts are in there though. Almost busted my nose trying to get them off. You will need a breaker bar or an impact. Use 6pt sockets on them to keep from rounding them off.

The stupid top two inverse torx bolts are LAME! DO NOT round the heads off. Get the correct socket to take them off. Then when installing get yourself a pair of standard hex heads in the same size. You can go up to 1/2" longer if need be. I did. They still fit.

TRUST me. Doing it yourself will make you feel awesome! You will have a story, and be miles ahead of guys that wouldn't do it themselves. You'll save a couple hundred bucks too. (You know for other upgrades)

Good luck. And it really isn't that bad at all. Just take your time. I remember getting all worked up before my first clutch. Once you in there its all straight forward. If you run into problems ask us. :wave:

jokerchief462 09-04-2013 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Trans jack harbour freight about $75. I use it on anything trans, skid plate, T-Case, fuel tank and differentials.

jimbos76cj 09-04-2013 08:56 AM

I can normally do this change in a few hours also.

For the top torx bolts you can lower the end of the trans down with the jack and it will allow you to get to the bolts with a few long extensions. My buddies jeep has a 3" body lift and I could just reach up there with a socket.

get 2 7/16-14 bolts atleast 6" long and cut the heads off em. When going to reisntall the trans thread them into the bottom 2 trans to block holes and use them to help line the trans up.

Take the t-case off to help with weight and awkwardness. remove the shift tower from the top as a assembly by removing the 4 bolts that hold it down. make sure the trans and T-case are in gear so when you reinstallit you can turn the uotput to help allign the splines.
Oh make sure you get a new alignment tool with the new clutch.. very important to use one of those or esle nothing will line up. If I were at home I can give you a step by step run through but unfortunately my comp time is limited.

jimbos76cj 09-04-2013 08:58 AM

Oh you can use the bolts with the heads cut off when removing the trans so you dont get "surprised" by it falling out.

rambo3489 09-04-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokerchief462 (Post 15870526)
Trans jack harbour freight about $75. I use it on anything trans, skid plate, T-Case, fuel tank and differentials.

That's pretty cheap. I'd go that route. Although the brute force technique can be rewarding as well.

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

rodgers3 09-05-2013 10:10 AM

Allright so im going tp pick up a trans jack, external torx set, and a friend to help me out. Sounds like I got a plan just gota wait for parts to get here. Ill probly start takeing it apart this sunday.

The time now is 04:31 AM.