Clutch Slave and Master Cylinder replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch Slave and Master Cylinder replacement

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
jonner

Clutch Slave and Master Cylinder replacement

Hi Folks,

A couple days ago, my clutch decided to stop engaging, so I had to get it towed to a shop. Now I've just been quoted $1500 CND to have my clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder replaced. But a buddy of mine told me that they usually never have to be replaced at the same time, that it's just a way for a mechanic to make extra money off you.

I know it's hard for anyone to know, without looking at my Jeep, but does this sound like they're trying to scam me, or could they just both need to be replaced at the same time?

Any tips or info would be great!

Thanks,
Jon Marus

Unread 08-02-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
jwicker

I would find it hard to believe that they both died at the same time.
Is there fluid leaking from the bellhousing? This would indicate a bad slave.
Replacing the master is not too bad at all.
If you have an internal slave, the tranny has to be pulled resulting in major $$. I located a new bellhousing for an external slave and swapped when I had my tranny out for a motor swap. This makes future slave replacement an easy job for nearly anyone with some basic skills.

Take a look at your bellhousing and determine whether you have internal vs. external slave.

If external (the slave will be bolted to the outside of the bellhousing), then do it yourself and save many hundreds of $$$. You can get a master, hose, slave combo unit (OEM part number 52104113) new for about $125 (http://walcks4wd.com/p4.html ). Just 4 bolts and removing the pedal lever from the master and your home free. You can do it in an hour or less. (You won't even need to bleed the system)

Internal will have 2 hard lines going through a hole in the bellhousing and nothgn bolted to the outside surface.

You should see one or the other on the driver side of the bellhousing. (Bellhousing is shaped like a bell and connects the tranny to the rear of the motor)

If internal and you don't have experience pullng the tranny, then I am afraid you are stuck either paying that price or locating someone cheaper.
* You might want to locate a bellhousing made for external slave and a new throwout bearing and swap these in while the tranny is pulled !!!* (I'd change the pilot bushing too while I was in there)

The fluid form the bellhousing 'shoul' indicate whether the problem is.

** Someone correct me if I am mistaken **

Just my 2 cents.

3" (damned old) body lift, 1" Extended shackles, 1.5" Rough Country leaf springs, MP fuel injected 4.0, 3 row radiator, 33x12.5x15 ProComp X-Terrains, Eagle Alloy 8 Holes 15x10, Champion Winch, TJ Dash, 92 Roll Bar, AX15 5 speed, Posi-Lok, 1997 Dash and heater

Last edited by jwicker; 08-02-2006 at 03:03 PM..
jwicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well if you look at your clutch pedal for fluid leaking down the pedal it'll tell you if the master cylinder is dead and that's very easy to replace and cheap too. i've never had any experience with a slave cylinder so i won't be able to help you there but like was said i doubt both have to be replaced.
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
jonner

There was no leaking down the pedal, and I was down there quite some time trying to figure out what was wrong. I think I'll tell them to just replace the slave cylinder and leave the master cylinder. Thanks guys.
Unread 08-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
azgurney
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My master cylinder quit working and there were no leaks. I was in the same situation as you are, I did not know what to replace. I decided the master is much easier then the slave so I started there. This was the problem. Just do not get the part at Auto Zone etc. My Auto Zone part lasted approx one year then quit working. I replaced it with a original part and it has been fine now. Pay the extra money for original parts unless you plan to sell it soon.
Unread 08-02-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
ufatbastehd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonner
Hi Folks,

A couple days ago, my clutch decided to stop engaging, so I had to get it towed to a shop. Now I've just been quoted $1500 CND to have my clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder replaced. But a buddy of mine told me that they usually never have to be replaced at the same time, that it's just a way for a mechanic to make extra money off you.

I know it's hard for anyone to know, without looking at my Jeep, but does this sound like they're trying to scam me, or could they just both need to be replaced at the same time?

Any tips or info would be great!

Thanks,
Jon Marus
91's as I understand have the internal slave. So thats what you probally have.
If you are going to need to replace the internal the swap to an external would be recommended. If you stay with and need to replace the internal slave use a dealer part as I've read they will last longer even of they cost more
ufatbastehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #7
yarosig

Does anybody know if 93's have an internal or external slave cylinder?
yarosig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #8
91 Wrangler

does anyone have pics of the external slave? after the replace the internal slave?
91 Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #9
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My master cylinder leaked on me, and it was visible on the firefall in the engine bay. A master cylinder is easy to replace and shouldn't cost more than $100 with giving the old one back. If it is the slave cylinder, and you have a 91, then it is an internal slave (mines a 91 also). To determine if it is the slave, see if it is leaking from the bellhousing (It will be eaiser to see if you fill the system back up and pump the clutch a few times). When I replaced the master cylinder, it put too much pressure on the slave and the slave went out on me the next day.

If it is the slave clyinder the tranny is going to have to get pulled. If this is the case, I would recomend doing every thing to your tranny at this time. I am currenty trying to pull my tranny myself for the first time to rebuild it. If you have to have a mechanic do it, get a new clutch, and have them check out everything else that might need replacing. If you have a lot of miles on you jeep, I would recomend having the tranny overhauled.

Flame <--- is screwed because he did not rebuild the tranny when it was taken out 1,000 miles ago to replace the slave cylinder.
flame0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2006, 07:14 AM   #10
jwicker

Personally, I wouldn't rebuild the tranny (gears) just because of a slave cylinder. With 2 floor jacks and another set of hands, pulling the tranny is manageable.
I would, however, replace the internal for external slave and put in a new clutch pack and pilot bushing.

3" (damned old) body lift, 1" Extended shackles, 1.5" Rough Country leaf springs, MP fuel injected 4.0, 3 row radiator, 33x12.5x15 ProComp X-Terrains, Eagle Alloy 8 Holes 15x10, Champion Winch, TJ Dash, 92 Roll Bar, AX15 5 speed, Posi-Lok, 1997 Dash and heater
Unread 08-03-2006, 07:17 AM   #11
jwicker

Jim Clark Enterprises in Indiana sells internal-to-external conversion kits as well as Peugeot-to-AX kits. He'll probably have a bellhousing conversion kit for you. http://www.jimclarkenterprises.com/

Unread 08-03-2006, 07:35 AM   #12
jwicker

External slave: (Not perfect as it is not still mounted to bellhousing)

Here is where it bolts (to bellhousing):

Unread 08-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #13
jonner

Turns out it was just the Master Cylinder. All fixed. Clutch pedal seems to travel a little further than before (hits the floor), but seems to work fine
Unread 08-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #14
NIUPonyBoy
2013 JK Wrangler 

I replaced both in mine when I rebuilt the tranny in 03, 20,000 miles later is seems to fouled again. Good luck.
-'07 Mineral Gray Ford Mustang GT Convertible
-'05 Silver Dodge Ram2500 PowerWagon Hemi 4x4
-'05 Silver Ford Freestar SEL Handicapped
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.