Clutch Slave Cylinder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch Slave Cylinder

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
AZ95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch Slave Cylinder

Well it's been a while since I have posted here, but I'm running into a slight issue that I need some help with.

I am replacing my clutch slave cylinder. Luckily mine sits on the outside of my bell housing . I purchase my new one from Autozone and lo and behold I find that the bleeder valve hole is completely closed off. My question is that is it supposed to be closed off, or is there a really small plug down there that I need to remove? If it's supposed to stay that way, then how in the heck am I supposed to bleed my clutch?

Oh (and I'm sure that you guys will love this), the guy at Autozone told me that it was a "self-bleeding" slave cylinder.

Thanks for your input.

AZ95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
Kalesinajeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ya
people are stupid

1 the clutch cylinder line and slave are a sealed unit. the jack off sold you a part that dosnt exist... go figure

the there should be a screw in your old one to bleed. i had the same problem about 6 weeks ago
Black Cragars,32" BFG MTs,

White Jeep Club Member #116
Kalesinajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
mud-slinger
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Pull the bleeder off of the old slave cyl....self bleeding? Ya sure.....
My "Money Pit"[/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="Black"]White Jeep Club Member #442[/COLOR][/CENTER]
mud-slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

They are "Self Bleeding" now. He sold you the right part.

Put it in per the instructions and you bleed it by pumpuing the snot out of the clutch. The bubbles rise up the line.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
AZ95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I did pump the snot out of the clutch, and bubbles did rise. However my clutch is still not right. Normally it engages when I first step on the peddle (meaning that I don't have to mash it down all the way to engage) and then disengages just a little before I take my foot off of the peddle. Now it doesn't engage until my foot is about at the floor, and disengages just barely after my foot starts leaving the floor (plus it still feels squishy).

Unfortunately I don't think the bleeder is something that can be removed by itself, because it is part of the slave cylinder unit. It's merely a hole at the top that a screw sits over.

This part has the same screw point, it's just that the hole that should be at the bottom is not there.

Oh, and the line can be removed from the slave cylinder. It's merely just a pin that holds it to the unit.

I guess I'll have to take it out, put in my old one (it still works but feels weak) and mess with the new one. This way I will at least be able to get to work.
AZ95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
camevans
1991 YJ Wrangler 

hey im new at this. i had to replace the clutch hose that goes from my master cylinder to the slave cylinder. unfortunately the fitting that the hose goes onto the slave cylinder broke. and i have to buy a new slave cylinder (180 bucks) just to use that fitting off of it. is there any other way around this?
camevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
95Turtle
1995 YJ Wrangler 

To the OP, did you ever get this problem resolved? I put the same slave in about 2 years ago, and I still have problems. The pedal is still squishly like you said and the clutch engages right off the floor. I only put a few hundred miles on the Jeep in a year, so I haven't worried about it much, but it is annoying. I'm sure the problem is that air is still in the system, but I have had no luck trying to bleed it by opening the set screw on top of the slave and pumping the clutch. Has anyone had success with another method?

Thanks
95Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The clutch engaging right off the floor can also be a weak or collapsing pressure plate. Of course ruling out the hydraulics first takes precedence.
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
95Turtle
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Moonshinefuel, had the pressure plate problem in an F150 once. This seems a little different, like a clutch feels before you get it completely bled. And I replaced the pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing, etc at the same time as the slave. I just really don't like this "self-bleeding" slave, it seems impossible to get air out of it once it is installed. Has anyone heard of a slave with a traditional bleeder valve for the 94-95 models?
95Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
mudsling
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced my slave cylinder with a new one, only to find out that the bleeder "did not bleed". I exchanged it 3 times and they were all the same, so I took a small drill bit and put a amall hole in the bleeder hole (bleeder hole is blocked by plastic). Problem solved.
mudsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
delb

clutch hydraulic system problems

We have replaced the hydraulic master cylinder along with the master cylinder line, thought the problem was solved. We bleed the line with new fluid and it worked fine for about two to three weeks and now we are using fluid causing lost pressure in the clutch. Where is the fluid going? There is no leak we can find, we keep refilling the fluid but it only lasts about a day. please help me !
Me and my dad a stuck!
Thanks.
delb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by delb View Post
We have replaced the hydraulic master cylinder along with the master cylinder line, thought the problem was solved. We bleed the line with new fluid and it worked fine for about two to three weeks and now we are using fluid causing lost pressure in the clutch. Where is the fluid going? There is no leak we can find, we keep refilling the fluid but it only lasts about a day. please help me !
Me and my dad a stuck!
Thanks.

Your profile is not filled out and my mind reading abilities are not the best.

Fill out your profile!
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
stenyeart

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Your profile is not filled out and my mind reading abilities are not the best.

Fill out your profile!
X2

My guess is that you have an internal clutch slave cylinder and that is why only the master cylinder and line were replaced. The new master cylinders works a lot better then the one it replaced. It builds more pressure and your worn out slave cylinder could not hold up to the pressure. It is now leaking inside the bell housing.

This would be my guess without knowing more about your jeep.

Apparently this thread comes back to life once a year.
stenyeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenyeart View Post
Apparently this thread comes back to life once a year.
Kinda like my wife (The Dragon Lady) during the Holiday shopping season...

It's not a bad thread though, it's been resurrected a few times and it does show our new member discovered the search function.

So--look for where you're losing fluid, it does not evaporate, and it is not consumed in the process of functioning. A master cylinder will leak inside the cabin, where the rod comes thru the firewall and connects to the clutch pedal. Fluid will dribble down the firewall and if you have carpet (ew!) it will hide behind there.
If you have an internal clutch slave cylinder, like in 93 or older YJ series, it will be inside your bellhousing, and fluid will dribble out the jct of the bell to engine and you'll confuse it with an oil leak. Engine oil feels like engine oil, but brake fluid has a "warming" sorta feel to it when you rub it between your fingers. So lay a clean sheet of cardboard under the Jeep, watch where the drips are falling. The best guess is that your internal slave is dead/dying, and it's hemorrhaging is getting mixed in with all the other gunk like engine oil leaks, RMS leak, etc and you can't tell the difference.

Welcome to the forum, thanks for finding the search function, but yes, do fill in your profile as I'm sure you'll have more than one post in your Jeep career.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
91_andYJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post

If you have an internal clutch slave cylinder, like in 93 or older YJ series, it will be inside your bellhousing, and fluid will dribble out the jct of the bell to engine and you'll confuse it with an oil leak. Engine oil feels like engine oil, but brake fluid has a "warming" sorta feel to it when you rub it between your fingers. So lay a clean sheet of cardboard under the Jeep, watch where the drips are falling. The best guess is that your internal slave is dead/dying, and it's hemorrhaging is getting mixed in with all the other gunk like engine oil leaks, RMS leak, etc and you can't tell the difference.
Opihi59 - i'm dropping my tranny n transfer case to replace to the slave cylinder in the bellhousing but how do i bleed it after i put the new one in? from the resevoir like the power steering?
91_andYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.