Clutch questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch questions...

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 02-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Eron
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch questions...

After searching a bit i could not find the answer im after, and im in a bit a crunch for time. Im leaving soon and need this figured so the old lady can have the truck fixed while im out of town.
Let me say this before i get into it.... Im not a mechanic by any means, but an learning as i go.

The clutch pedal is near the top. And ive been told that there is no way to adjust the pedal. So my question is... What is my best plan of action for this? Replace just the friction plate? Or replace the whole clutch? And that is me assuming they are sold separately. The clutch it self seems to work well. At least well enough. But i dont want to have to get into it again if i dont have to. Also, i have a small amount of money set aside. Is there any cheapish upgrades i could toss in while ive got the tranny out that would help with a average DD? Thanks a ton for any replies i get!!! You are helping me in a gigantic way!!!!

P.S. Could you suggest some brands to buy, or stay away from? Again...thanks!!!!

Eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if it's near the top, what is the problem? or is it binding when it's to the floor? you can buy everything separately if you so desire. Is this a hydraulic or mechanical clutch linkage?
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Eron
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your reply!!!

The clutch pedal is ALL the way to the top! As in, i almost cannot engage the clutch to put it into gear. It is hydro. I was told by a member here that the pedal cannot be adjusted. So i assuming that the clutch would need to be replaced. Man i hate to assume anything. But, like i said im trying to learn here as well. Thanks again man.
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eron View Post
The clutch pedal is ALL the way to the top! As in, i almost cannot engage the clutch to put it into gear. It is hydro.
I don't understand "all the way to the top" you would think that it would disengage without having to go all the way down then. was there clutch or tranny work done recently?
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Eron
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think we are misunderstanding each other here. There is almost no clutch. I do not have to move the pedal more than 1 or 2 inches to get the clutch to work and change a gear. So...as this problem has been getting worse or a period of time, im thinking the plate needs replaced because its worn down.

By all the way to the top. I mean when its not pressed at all. In its standing position. Sorry if i have it backwards.
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

you can change the plate alone but it is an involved job, if you have it that far apart you might want to save yourself some agravation and replace everything inside the bellhousing, it may cost you a few more dollars to replace everything but you will have peace of mind and a solid clutch
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Eron
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty much what i was thinking. The whole clutch assembly is about half the price i was expecting. And my ASE certified friend said he would help me out for super cheap. Figure new clutch is the way to go. Thanks for your time and effort. And sorry for any confusion.
Unread 02-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I put a Center-Force Dual-friction in mine. It was along time ago so I don't know their reputation today. It was probably over-kill, but I've not had to touch it since.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
amc75matador
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eron View Post
Pretty much what i was thinking. The whole clutch assembly is about half the price i was expecting. And my ASE certified friend said he would help me out for super cheap. Figure new clutch is the way to go. Thanks for your time and effort. And sorry for any confusion.
no problem, don't forget to replace the hydraulic throwout bearing/slave if your jeep is so equiped, it will be worth it

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.