Clutch Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch Question

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 03-04-2002, 02:55 PM   #1
gifargis

Clutch Question

Has this happened to anyone?
when the jeep is cold i.e. -10 to 10 F
My second gear pop's out.. no grinding noise just a pop and thats it.. not first, third or fourth.. when warmed up no issues...
Any ideas
I do have a 94 YJ 2.5L with 140k and clutch was replaced at 100k with a centerforce dual friction
Thanks in advance

Unread 03-04-2002, 03:30 PM   #2
Nine5YJ

hey

when its really cold sometimes it wont go into 2nd gear all the way.. i have to put extra effort into pushing it in.. but ive never had it pop out, once it warms up there is no problem. your linkage could be loose.
Unread 03-04-2002, 03:38 PM   #3
jfarrell

I have a 90 YJ with a complete rebuild on the tranny and new clutch. My transmission went bad at 85,000 miles (3rd, 4th, and all the synchros/sliders)! I had problems shifting into 2nd and replaced the fluid and it fixed the problem. I did have it "pop" out of second even after the rebuild. Believe it or not, after the fluid change no problems. I was told by the shop that did the rebuild that they often install such a heavy weight fluid after a rebuild it causes the problems that I was having. Not sure this will help you, but you're not alone!
jfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2002, 03:48 PM   #4
rodgersmc

Same problem here, but doesn't have to be as cold... anything under 30 or so and I've had it happen... hard to get into second, and if i clutch in a turn or something, it often shifts itself into neutral... never had it happen with any other gear but second, and only when very cold.

Someone solve our problem! ;-)
32" tires on 15X10's
winch
soon to be JKB2 mod
rodgersmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2002, 04:33 PM   #5
93RENEGADE

This also happens to me when it's cold, it's hard to get into second. I changed my transmission oil to synthetic and it helps a bit. I think it's just a problem with the YJ. I usually just rev it in first and shift directly to 3rd when its cold.
93RENEGADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2002, 12:27 AM   #6
kidwired

wut kind of lifts are u guys runnin?
perhaps linkage is binding?

I had to cut about 2" of metal out of my floor pan. but I'm SOA + 3.5 inches (9 inches total)
Unread 03-05-2002, 12:46 AM   #7
evilpsych

it's sounding more like it's so cold out that the gear oil is turning to sludge.. i suggest running a thinner gear oil if you're in really cold weather most of the time.. also.. a synthetic liek mobil 1 will also fix this prob.. 75W90 is standard for most climates..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2002, 08:10 AM   #8
Mike611

Hey Fellas,, It's not your linkage,, Its your gearweight oil.. You are probably running GL5 gearweight in your tranny,, whenever you get time,, switch to GL3 lube. This will create smoother shifting and it is all around just better for your syncros too. Put GL3 in and your good to go....
Mike,,,
95, 2.5L, custom bumpers, Flow's, 4 inch Skyjacker Super Duty, 33x12.50 MT's, 15X10 AR 767's, Hi-lift, Funk in the Trunk( two 12 inch subs ), soon to be locked and have one of those pully things on the front.

If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly...
Mike611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2002, 09:25 AM   #9
JeepBeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Mike, whats a good brand of GL3 to be running on?

'95 YJ 2.5L 3" Sus.
ProComp MT 33s"
JeepBeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2002, 12:40 PM   #10
JeeperJay

I'm switching over to GL-3 ASAP. I just got a rebuilt tranny and I'm having the same 2nd gear issues. Its fine after its warmed up but if its cold I'm lucky to get into 2nd gear at all.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.