clutch question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > clutch question

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-22-2002, 05:44 PM   #1
diggedyduh

clutch question

while 4 wheeling this weekend my jeeps clutch became inoperable and i had to crank it in gear to get home, well after talking to a mechanic he said that it was the master cylinder so i changed it. Now its like i dont have a full clutch and is hard to put in gears, i need to bleed the lines again but i was told that there was a possibility that there was an adjustment shaft attached to my slave cylinder( external this is on a 95 yj, 4cyl) that applied pressure to the pressure plate and that this could be the problem. What do ya'll think??

This is for my roomate because he is computer illiterate lol thanks

33X12.5x15 Firestone Destination MT ( new and very beefy), 1.5" shackle lift, custom home brewed 2" suspension lift, 258 w/ a weber carb , debating on the Hei
diggedyduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2002, 05:54 PM   #2
UglySkunk

if your master cylinder went then your slave is probably going to

my jeep can fly can yours

[B]if you don't know about cages or spiked tang sit down and shutup[/B]
UglySkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2002, 08:19 PM   #3
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I would recommend bleeding the lines again before you get too worried. When I installed mine, I thought that I had it all bled and when I first tried it I couldn't get it in gear - I then said some choice words since I didn't want to take it all apart again. Then I decided to bleed it again and as soon as I cracked the bleeder it let a bunch of air out and then worked fine.

I can't speak as to the external slave, but the internal doesn't have any sort of an "adjustment shaft." I agree with UglySkunk; I would replace both the master and the slave (especially since yours is external) since if one goes the other is probably close behind.

Hopefully it is the master and slave and not something to do the throwout bearing, clutch fork, clutch disk, pressure plate, ect. HTH and good luck!

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2002, 08:21 PM   #4
Quan

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I had my mechanic test the master by testing it with vaccuum. It was fine but my slave was shot. I think they call it the 'clutch release' bearing or something like that. I had it all replaced and i have no problems right now. Personally, i think it was the slave in the first place cuz i had to pump my clutch to build up enough pressure to get it into gear until i had it fixed.

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.