Clutch problems - PLEASE HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch problems - PLEASE HELP

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 01-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
dannytogo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch problems - PLEASE HELP

I have a 95 4.0. Last week my clutch got spongy and then the pedal lost all pressure. I replaced the master cylinder and slave cylinder but still no pedal pressure. Any ideas?

dannytogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

did you get the prebled master and slave unit or individual pieces? Also please fill in you jeep profile.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
dannytogo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

After final installation, I bled the system.
Unread 01-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

so did you put them in as a 1 piece setup with the tube and all installed or more then one piece?

/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Unread 01-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #5
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I could have sworn I posted a reply to this yesterday asking the same question...

If you used the one piece master/hose/slave it's pre-filled with fluid and pre-bled, you just install, step on the clutch and top off the fluid.

This setup runs $130 or so if I recall.

I have an OEM replacement plastic reservoir master with a stainless braided hose from Advance Adapters and I bought one of their AX15/NV3550 external slaves. If you do end up needing a hose, I recommend the AA one it feels really good and consistent, the braided stainless cuts down on the spongy feel a bit. Same with brake hoses. -- The 42 or 48 or whatever inch hose they sell is barely long enough, it's what I used and I wish I either had a 180* brake line fitting on the end to sweep back into the clutch slave, or that I'd gotten their 60 inch hose kit and had a sweeping bend instead of having a taught hose.

Note, a 3-piece system is harder to bleed, especially when the slave doesn't have a bleeder port. You can either use a vacuum bleeder at the top to suck the air bubbles out or bench bleed it really friggin good before installing and don't shake it around/tilt it.
GrEmLiN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
dannytogo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059
so did you put them in as a 1 piece setup with the tube and all installed or more then one piece?
i bought the individual components.
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #7
Latefreight727
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I bought the one piece system from 4WD. It didn't come with fluid. I had to fill and bleed. Works great. It has the bleeder on the external slave.
Latefreight727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannytogo View Post
i bought the individual components.
then you still have air in the system... keep bleeding

/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #9
Latefreight727
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bleed it until you think it is good. Then bleed it some more. It took a long time to get all the air out.
Latefreight727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Or take it to a shop that has a power bleeder (preferably vacuum bleeder in this case) and that should make quick work of it. Have a mechanic do it under the table for a few bucks?
GrEmLiN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 94 and have had to replace the master and the slave several times. Always just the individual parts. I've never had a problem bleeding it though. Just pump a whole lot and it gets good. I'm talking maybe 5-10 minutes of pumping max. Most of the air came out at the top most pedal travel if that makes sense...rattle it back and forth at the top of the pedal travel. You can see the air coming out into the res. Pour a little fluid in to keep it full and you should be good. The only couple of problems I can think of is the hose is leaking somewhere, or...once I didn't line up the push rod on the slave right and it wasn't touching the clutch fork or whatever at all so I had very little pressure.
mylogylo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.