Clutch problem with sudden drop in weather temp??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch problem with sudden drop in weather temp???

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch problem with sudden drop in weather temp???

Ok guys yesterday here in the DFW area of Texas, we had a 70 degree day yesterday and the clutch worked great!!
This morning I woke up to a chilly 40 degrees, started the jeep to get her warm. Ten minutes later I'm pulling out the the driveway and the engagement is at the floor!! Any ideas of other non temperature related things that would cause this??

Collin89Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
olsqris
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the fluid level in the clutch master? I had the same thing happen to me. Turns out the clutch hydraulics were leaking.
olsqris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well the thing is over the summer the clutch was serviced as I was out of town. But I do have an oil leak that I found from the trans/engine. I think it's the RMS, would a leaky RMS cause clutch failure?
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
mylogylo
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've had the same issue. When I moved from Boulder (5000 ft) to Dillon (9100 ft) my clutch ended up at the floor. Same thing happens when a storm is getting ready to come through. I'm guessing the drop in air pressure caused air in the lines. I just haven't gotten around to bleeding it yet. You might try bleeding your clutch I might be way off though...lol just my theory
mylogylo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
olsqris
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What type of service was done to the clutch?

If your clutch pedal went to the floor before engaging your problem is in the hydraulics. Your RMS should not affect the hydraulics at all. I'd check the fluid level first. Then...

If your fluid level is good, try and bleed it. If you've got air in the system, it can cause your pedal to go to the floor. If it's bled properly and still not working, you may have a bad master cylinder.

If your fluid level is low, check for leaks in your master and slave cylinders. If your master is leaking you'll see an oil trail down your firewall. This oil trail could be in either the engine bay or the cab right behind the clutch pedal itself. A leaking slave cylinder may be a little harder to detect. You may have to take the inspection plate of the bottom of the transmission bellhousing and look around to see if you see fluid coming from the slave cylinder and its components. Someone else would be more help on the slave, though.
Unread 11-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There was no fluid in the system and had air at the time of service, the clutch was bleed and the reservoir was filled. The work was completed 7-25-11.
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bump
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mighta had some moisture in the fluid. That would definitely change with altitude and weather.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #9
olsqris
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Where's the fluid level at now? That's the first step.

Was anything changed when it was serviced, or was the fluid topped off and system bled only? There had to be a reason it was low in the first place.
Unread 11-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The fluid is almost gone. Found my problem I think leaky master cylinder!
Unread 11-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
olsqris
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, at least you found it. Replacing the master isn't that hard to do. Bleeding the system is the hardest part. Lot's of threads on here about that. Read through some of those first if you try it yourself.

Just so you know, you'll find a lot of info on here saying to change the master and slave at the same time. I changed only my master at one point. Several months later the slave started leaking. Some people have good luck changing one without changing the other and some don't.

Let us know how it goes.
Unread 11-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok guys I have an update.... Since the jeep was at home along with the keys (high school jeeper), my mom decided to get the jeep towed to firestone... I do appreciate the thought because I now know what's wrong with it, but I really want to work on it since I am new to jeeps and will save ~$900 on labor.

Things that need to be replaced:
Slave cylinder
Clutch
Flywheel
Fluids of course

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.