Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

clutch problem ? Master / Slave Cylinder Problem

27K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  bigbossd1030 
#1 ·
so i have been having numerous problems shifting in and out of gear.

1st - after sitting i cannot shift into gear unless i do the old rock the jeep trick

2nd - have had a grinding/rattling noise in the trans in 2nd,3rd and 5th gears since i got the jeep...if i push in the clutch...all noises go away

3rd - today it started grinding slightly when shifting gears while driving...if im rolling slowly i can shift into any gears no problem...

from doing some research on the forum today i dont know if i should start with the master/slave cylinder replacement or do a flat out clutch replacement...i only have cash to do one or the other this week...suggestions ? tips ?

also, i noticed some fluid collecting around my slave cylinder...

could a bad slave cylinder cause grinding/rattling in my trans ?

i dont know what to do here fella's/gals....any help is appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like you are having a hydraulic issue. If you see brake fluid around your slave cylinder, that is most likely your issue. One way to tell is to check the level of your clutch master cylinder.

#5 ·
All of the symptoms you're describing can very easily be the clutch. When you check your fluid, are you removing the boot under the cap? Sorry for the stupid question, but it has to be asked. If not, then all the fluid you're seeing is sitting inside the cup of the boot.

We had identical problems with ours, but did not see fluid right away. When we got low on fluid, she would be an absolute queen to shift. Add fluid, shifts like a dream. After 6 months of this we finally started to see fluid. Replaced master & slave as a sealed package, problem gone.

#7 ·
When you pull the cap, there's a black rubber boot that sits inside the cap. More times than not it stays in the reservoir. It has a lip on it that is the same size as the reservoir, so it's real easy to not realize it's there.

Next time you pull the cap, just touch the inside of the cap. If it's all rubbery the boot is there, if you feel plastic, pull the boot from the top of the master cylinder. You might just find that you're several ounces low on clutch fluid when you thought you were just fine.

I remember when a mechanic buddy of mine asked me, "did you pull the boot?" I looked at him like, "What boot?" When I got home it was the FIRST thing I checked. Low and behold I was about 3 ounces low on clutch fluid. It's one of those things that once you know about it, you'll never get burnt by it again, and one of those things where you'll go, "OK, now I feel stupid", but A LOT of people miss it.

#10 ·
ok, i just checked...the rubber boot is coming out with the cap...fluids are topped off..thing i dont get is how can my fluid be topped off but i can tell for sure it seems to be leaking from where the slave cylinder mounts below..in fact it looks like im missing a possible rubber gasket or something. i have a little play in my slave cylinder....im thinking with my grinding issues coming from the trans(only when clutch is not pushed in), maybe i should just replace my clutch this week...i hope the whining/rattling noise is coming from my throwout bearing...but again, im not sure....

if i decide to do the clutch this week, is there anything else i should do(something possibly cheap), while i have the trans dropped..

or am i totally on the wrong track here...should i do the clutch master/slave cylinder...

either way, im guessing both are gonna need to be replaced..

i think im rambling here.....i'll wait for someone else to chime in on this one.

#11 ·
Start with the hydraulics first, IMO. Check out these 2 part numbers at www.rockauto.com for pricing.

RHINO PAC Part # PS0115 $140.79

DORMAN Part # CC649002 $107.79

Max :cheers2:

#12 ·
yeah, i think your right....would be a fast quick easy thing to tackle...does any local auto parts stores carry these ? like murrays,auto zone,pep boys etc ? whats the difference in parts there max, why is 1 140.00 and the other 100.00 ?

-rich

#17 ·
yeah, i think your right....would be a fast quick easy thing to tackle...does any local auto parts stores carry these ? like murrays,auto zone,pep boys etc ? whats the difference in parts there max, why is 1 140.00 and the other 100.00 ?

-rich
It's hard to say why there's such a difference in pricing. They are both new parts, not rebuilt parts. If you look at my master cylinder write-up, you'll see that I used a Dorman part on that '89 YJ. And I also used a Rhino Pac brand master on my '91 YJ. Both brands were of equal quality IMO, and they're both still in daily use today.

I would go with the cheaper one, based on my experience with both brands.

Max :cheers2:

#15 ·
If the fluid is old, and black not gold like brake fluid should be, it may be boiled and there are bubbles in the fluid. Bleed it first, always start with the simple solution and work from there.
It doesn't take a lot of fluid to completely change out. Use a larger bottle of dot 3 and bleed until all new fluid comes out. Your transmission and clutch will thank you for it.

#16 ·
the fluid is definitely old...ok, im going to start with completely replacing the fluid....whats the best way to drain it all out ? and im guessing i need to bleed the system after...do i need to do this at the slave cyldiner ? i dont recall seeing a bleeder screw at the slave, but i could be wrong..

#18 ·
I 'm having similar problems with my ax5. Does it it shift fine when cool? Or does the problem start after you have been driving it for a while? Try this; the next time you have a problem shifting gears turn the engine off and see if it shifts fine without the engine running. If it shifts ok without the engine running you may only have clutch or hydraulic issues. I'm no expert by any means, just passing on some info I got from a guy with 35 years experience in the transmission business.

#19 ·
it started the grinding into gear all of a sudden the other morning. it was cool out, but even after warming up and driving about 10 miles, it was still grinding...i can shift ok without the engine running..no problems at all....being a trans guy, could a bad clutch or clutch master/slave be related to my noisy trans in 2,3, and 5th gear ?

#20 ·
I'm no transmisson guy but I would have to think that if your trans is making a lot of noise while in gear or when shifting it most likely would not be the slave or master cylinder.(unless it was grinding while trying to shift) If your sure your hearing the noise from your trans than you may have some major issues with the tranny! Again I'm no expert just my thoughts on your problem! Mine shifts like a dream when cold and gets worse the warmer it gets! I,m thinking clutch,master or slave for my problem...

#21 ·
well ironically, im having both issues now...grinding while going into gear and the noisy trans...before the other day it was only the noisy trans issue...which i think from what i have been reading could possibly the synchros..but im no car guy, just going off what im reading...im gonna try the fluid change and quite possibly the clutch master/slave replacement...again i am getting a leak from where the slave bolts up.

#22 ·
I changed my fluid with no improvement. You might want to go ahead and replace the master and slave with a new complete unit(abot 150 bucks) and see if that helps.. As old as your jeep is there most likely on the way out any way so no harm no foul...That's what I'm trying first..

#23 ·
that was my thought as well...considering it is leaking from where the slave mounts im sure something is going on with it anyways..i am going to slowly rebuild the whole drivetrain over time, just lack of funds always makes something this a long slow job, haha...i cant seem to find anywhere except online to order a pre-bled master/slave unit...any thoughts on chain auto parts store that might sell this bad boy..

#24 ·
I cant find the site that sells the pre bled system. but there are guys on here that can help. They gave me the site but I can't seem to find the link.. you can use the search function or post a thread and they can help you.

#26 ·
did some driving this morning and tried some things...all whining and rattling from transmission stop when i push in my clutch...could this be throwout bearing related ? or am i looking at a possible synchro/gear issue ? again, whines/grinds and rattles in 2,3 and 5th gears only

#27 ·
having some of the same issues: push the clutch and its hard to get into gears sometimes and sometimes perfect. when engine is off i can get into all gears but you can hear metal when engaging... got some rattling in gears over 3000 rpms for the first 10 minutes or so...clutch fluid is good...master cylinder has some wiggle to it but is bolted in good, wiggle does not seem right. thinking i got some wear on my synchros because i was driving the hell out of it once i got it running again...but it will shift perfect at times in random gears...thinking to start with the new master slave??? and get new gear oil in ax15? any input?

also the clutch pedal as some play to it: as in it will wiggle from left to right more than would seem normal

#29 ·
why post in the YJ forum?

anyways, take a moment and thank god that you have an external slave... unlike me. you should be able to get a slave for about $60 bucks at the most, they have them one ebay for like $50. that whining sounds like the pilot bearing, the grinding sounds like the clutch going out, does it slip at all, or when in high gears, when you press the gas, does it whine, and not speed up.

i have a internal leaky slave, i just keep it full of fluid, and i'll drive it like that till it craps out, then i'll replace it all. my jeep also grinds when shifting in the cold, but when warmed up it does fine.

so i would say go ahead and replace the clutch, pilot, throwout bearing first. it's a 2003 jeep, and that clutch is probably gonna need replacing soon anyways, depending on miles and stuff. then go from there. slave is easy, but i don't know about the master cylinder, never did one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.