Clutch Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Clutch Problem

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
PiTRiFF
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch Problem

I was driving this morning and pulled into my parking lot at work. When I stopped I noticed I could no longer find a gear and my clutch pedal moves freely as if there is no resitance to it at all. When the engine if off I can shift to any gear but not when its on. There is not a burned clutch smell or anything like that. Any ideas?

Check Out My Band VooDoo Brother www.voodoobrother.com
PiTRiFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Check the fluid in the clutch Master cylinder. Right next to brake booster under the hood.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
PiTRiFF
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I will check that out thanks for the advice

Unread 07-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
TheSmanman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you see any leaks under the trans between the engine block and bell housing?
TheSmanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
PiTRiFF
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No but when I took the cap off of the master cylinder it seems like its dry. I also noticed something else. under the Jeep the line that comes from the master cylinder and goes into the tranny is loose. i can grab it and pull it out about an inch but not all the way out.

Unread 07-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
TheSmanman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fill the cly and bleed it down at the trans. See if the pedal comes back, but make sure you keep an eye on the MC so it doesn't go dry again while you're bleeding it.
Unread 07-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
PiTRiFF
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well I just filled the mc and immediately the clutch became operational however it needs to be bled. If i can just find where the bleeder valve is.

I also took a photo of the piece that is loose on the tranny if anyone has any idea what it is.

image-522571453.jpg   image-2423776931.jpg  

Unread 07-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, there is motion there, it means nothing really. There is supposed to be a rubber grommet there, but it's not vital.

So of course now, you have something to consider--that fluid didn't just evaporate, you have a leak somewhere in the clutch hydraulic system. If it was from the master, you will see that fluid has leaked down the INSIDE of your firewall where the MC rod comes thru to attatch to your pedal. If it was from the dreaded internal slave, it will be dripping out of your bellhousing.
Easy to replace the master cyl, but generally if that was the problem component, the internal slave will die shortly thereafter. Generally I recommend replacing both at the same time, but it is troublesome to replace the internal slave since you have to pull the tranny, so count on doing everything you can think of while you have it apart like new clutch, pressure plate, etc, and since you have the 2.5L it's a good time to replace the rear main seal which on your engine requires the transmission to be out.
If you do replace the internal slave, don't go with aftermarket, go with OEM even if you have to go to the dealership and pay more. There is a glut of threads on here over the years with tales of woe about new internal slave that are defective out of the box, some folks have done this twice in a row and finally the 3rd time they pull their trans, they go OEM. Of course, there will be those who will chime in and tell you "I got a discount internal slave for $23 and it's been going fine for _________ " (enter long duration of time, or obscenely large amt of miles here).

They just got lucky. It's not the norm.

Look at the picture in post #3. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...cement-728960/

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Last edited by Opihi59; 07-28-2012 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Link added
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
PiTRiFF
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the advice. now I just need to find where the bleeder is.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 07-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

On your AX5, it should be poking out the front---wait, DUH, I meant out the back on the opposite side of the bellhousing. Kinda looks like this:

Good luck on getting that bugger loose.......

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.

Last edited by Opihi59; 07-28-2012 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: Photo added. Corrected front to "back"
Unread 07-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
PiTRiFF
1991 YJ Wrangler 

looking at the 2 pics I posted out looks like the pic you have.

Unread 07-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
TheSmanman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look at this pic that I found. That is were it should be. Passengers side up toward the top of the bell housing. Listen to Opihi59, he helped me out with a tranny issue. Go OEM. It's not fun pulling a trans. Heavy and you'll want to do it right the first time. Like he said,.if you're going to pull the trans to replace the slave, replace the clutch, pressure plate pilot bearing, input shaft seal and rear main seal and you should have the flywheel resurfaced while you're at it, but there are many that will disagree with me on this. If it's not grooved you can just smooth it up with some emery cloth.

BTW Opihi59, my trans is working perfect. Thanks for the help.
bleeder-l-ax-5.jpg  
Unread 07-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
PiTRiFF
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the pic. believe me if it's one thing I will do is trust you guys. I'm not a good mechanic and rather listen to someone who has been there before.

Unread 07-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #14
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmanman View Post

BTW Opihi59, my trans is working perfect. Thanks for the help.
Welcome, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTRiFF View Post
thanks for the pic. believe me if it's one thing I will do is trust you guys. I'm not a good mechanic and rather listen to someone who has been there before.
We'll try to steer you right, there are a lot of very talented Jeepers here on this forum, they all seem willing to help out and are not critical.

Regarding the flywheel resurfacing, the FSM directs to replace the flywheel rather than resurface it. That being said, I resurface once, then will buy new. I've never had to replace 2 clutches on the same vehicle though, except for a 74 Chevy Vega but that is another story...........clutch eating POS......

I found that it practically costs as much to get one resurfaced as it did to buy a new one at Checker/O'Reilley's though last one I did.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

What happened to me is that the bleed valve flops around when the Jeep is running .When you are clutching it the pressure and fluid bleeds out so that is why you don't see any fluid on the ground.What happened is the rubber isulator boot comes out /off letting the line to move.It looks like yours is gone.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.