clutch prob! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > clutch prob!

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 10-20-2001, 08:59 PM   #1
rev

clutch prob!

I have a 94 yj with 120k km and it grinds like crazy going into reverse. Its at the point where i turn it off to put into reverse. First gear is a ***** but once its gets going its shifts fine. Any help will be appreciated

rev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2001, 10:11 PM   #2
evilpsych

I've got the same problem with my '93.. lemme know what the prob is if/when you figure it out.. i'm thinking motor/tranny/xfer case mounts might need replacing..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2001, 11:13 PM   #3
bob91yj

If you haven't changed your gear oil lately, try that. Synthetic gear oil will often aid the shift quality.
Unread 10-21-2001, 12:00 AM   #4
rjheuch

If you change your gear oil and it still has a problem try checking to make sure your clutch is set right. If that does not work you might need to check your cyncro, it might be going out.
Unread 10-21-2001, 01:15 AM   #5
rev

Quote:
Originally posted by rjheuch:
If you change your gear oil and it still has a problem try checking to make sure your clutch is set right. If that does not work you might need to check your cyncro, it might be going out.
how exactly would I check if the clutch is set right??
rev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2001, 10:20 AM   #6
ezgoing

I have the same problem with my jeep. I find that if I depress the clutch and go into any forward gear first and then going into reverse, before I let the clutch back out, that it doesn't grind. Somtimes it takes several tries but its better than hearing the gears clash. I hope if you haven't tried this already that it helps you keep your transmission a little longer.
'67 Ford Galaxie 500 (passes everything but the gas station)

"What do you mean I can't make it, watch me!" = oops
ezgoing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.