clutch pedal sticking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > clutch pedal sticking

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 11-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
yjman92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

clutch pedal sticking

i have recently installed a low milage used ax-5 tranny in my yj, now i have come to find it is near impossible to drive at times because when i release the clutch pedal it does not release smoothly and seems to catch and stick making a rough transition to the release point of my clutch. please help i dont know whats wrong

yjman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
denmansYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

did it start immediately after the install, or did it progressively get worse?
denmansYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
Lendo
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When mine did that, it was in the opposite direction. Turned out to be the Master Cylinder. I may have misunderstood you though
Lendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
yjman92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

it progressively got worse, and at times it will be close to perfect again, thats EXACTLY what i thought it was, and i really hope it is the master cylinder, because i dont wanna pull the tranny again!! did it completely take care of the problem
yjman92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
denmansYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a master or slave cyl. issue. Try bleeding the system first. Air in the line can do funny things.
Any signs of leakage? Look on the firewall in side the cab (master) and on the ground under the flywheel (slave).

When you press and hold the clutch pedal down, does it maintain good pedal pressure or does it slowly bleed off? If it bleeds off you have a seal issue in either your master or slave cylinder.

I had an 89 XJ (2.5L, 5spd) with simular issues. Ended up replacing both the master and slave...ended up being the internal slave cylinder of coarse.

Hope this helps.
denmansYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.